cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing inquiry if you can't track down the company?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing inquiry if you can't track down the company?

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before. I recently got a notice that my credit score dropped due to the following inquiry; however, I've never authorized an inquiry of this nature. I tried to google the company to locate a phone number, but I haven't been able to find any valid information for the business. So... what should I do? I looked them up through the BBB and there wasn't a listing for them.

Thanks!
T.

CBR MORTGAGE SERVICES
Inquiry date: 5/16/2011
Contact: CBR MORTGAGE SERVICES, 9990 Richmond Ave Ste 100, Houston, TX, 770424545

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputing inquiry if you can't track down the company?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first post, so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before. I recently got a notice that my credit score dropped due to the following inquiry; however, I've never authorized an inquiry of this nature. I tried to google the company to locate a phone number, but I haven't been able to find any valid information for the business. So... what should I do? I looked them up through the BBB and there wasn't a listing for them.

Thanks!
T.

CBR MORTGAGE SERVICES
Inquiry date: 5/16/2011
Contact: CBR MORTGAGE SERVICES, 9990 Richmond Ave Ste 100, Houston, TX, 770424545

Hello, and welcome to the FICO Forums.

You're not the first person to report a mystery inquiry from this company.  Unfortunately, the other Forums members who have had similar issues have not provided any follow-up - possibly because there was no resolution or clarification of their inquiries.

Who is CBR Mortgage Services? and why are they inquiring on me?

Have you been looking into obtaining a new mortgage, perhaps by visiting the website of an online lender?  Have you recently closed on a mortgage?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have visited several major online realty sites over the last few months looking at houses in my area; however, I haven't applied for a mortage or entered any personal information into any mortage calculators or other such online tools.

Any advice on how to track down a company? If I can't locate the company, is there a way to dispute the inquiry? I have great credit, and I have made it a point to maintain my score because my husband and I will indeed be looking for a mortage in about 9 months.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I would look in here for a letter example called a non-PP letter and I'd send them one using the address listed on your CR.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Until you know their reported reason for their pull of your CR, it will be difficult to dispute.

The inquiring party is required to provide a stated reaspn under one of the permissible pull provisions of FCRA 604 tp your CR as a condtion for CRA grant of their request.  However, most commericial credit reports dont provide credit inquiry reporting codes, so it usually takes some effort to get that information.  One way you get is is to file a written request with the CRA under FCRA 609(a)(1).  That requires a fee of $10.50.  By the time you get a response from the CRA, and prepare a dispute, you are probably already at least a couple of months past the date of the inquiry.  Resolution of any dispute will take approx anoter month and a half, so after tall of tat, you are most likely approaching the one-year period after which FICO no longers scores the inquiry. That os probably why so few consumers pursue disputes of credit report inquiries.

Additionally, disptues related to credit report inquiries must be done through the CRA.  The direct dispute process specifically exempts CR inquiries as a basis for a direct dispute. 

Since your dispute must be filed with the CRA, you really dont have to have the contact address of the inquirer, since it the CRA's responsibility to contact them in the diispute process.  Let them face that problem.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.