Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing item make score worse?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing item make score worse?

I'm wondering if disputing an item that in turn gets denied makes your score go down?

I have 2 accounts that are still on my credit after coming to a verbal agreement on the phone to pay the account in full as long as they removed it from my credit. Both of these places have yet to remove it from my credit and it's been 6 months. Unfortunately when I did this, I didn't know about PFD letters, so I just came to an agreement over the phone with the companies. However, they're not removing them and I can't get anyone to admit that they said they would remove such items either.

Is there anything I can do and will disputing these cause my score to lower?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing item make score worse?

intargc wrote:
I'm wondering if disputing an item that in turn gets denied makes your score go down?

I have 2 accounts that are still on my credit after coming to a verbal agreement on the phone to pay the account in full as long as they removed it from my credit. Both of these places have yet to remove it from my credit and it's been 6 months. Unfortunately when I did this, I didn't know about PFD letters, so I just came to an agreement over the phone with the companies. However, they're not removing them and I can't get anyone to admit that they said they would remove such items either.

Is there anything I can do and will disputing these cause my score to lower?

Disputing does not affect your score, unless the end result is that the TL is changed in a way which makes your credit worse.

If you've paid the accounts in full, then you've lost any leverage you might have had to get them to agree to a PFD.  But don't beat yourself up; lots of people pay off accounts and then find this website.

Never agree to anything with anyone over the phone.  Get an agreement in writing or it doesn't count.

I don't think you have anything to dispute, unless you've paid these accounts but they are not reporting as paid.  Try a GW letter.  Good luck!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.