cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CA's really have to delete when they sell the account to another CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do CA's really have to delete when they sell the account to another CA?

I would prefer the answer to be yes........but according to EX the answer is no.

Original account and collection account will both be on a credit report

Dear Max,

Is it legal for the original creditor and the collection agency to both show on my credit report?

- TAK

Dear TAK,

Not only is it legal, it is exactly what should happen to accurately show the history of the debt.

Your credit report represents a history of your credit accounts. That history begins with the original account and its payment history. If it is sent to collections, the account continues with the agency or agencies that then own the account.

Each entry, beginning with the original account will show a status for that entry. The original account will show that it became late, eventually was charged off as a loss and then was sold or sent to collections. The status of the account entry will change through its life on your credit report.

It will begin as current, never late. Eventually, that status typically will go through 30, 60, 90 and 120 days late, and then will change to charged off and sold to collections. “Charged off” and “sold to collections” are both considered a final status. A final status shows that the account is no longer active, but it appears on the credit report as part of the complete history of the debt.

A new collection account will then be added to your credit history. It will show that the debt was bought or transferred from the original account holder. Its status will show that it is now the active account for the debt. If the debt is sold again to another collection agency, the status of the first collection account will be changed to show that it was sold or transferred. Again, that final status shows that the first collection account is no longer active, but it will continue to appear as part of the account’s history. (emphasis mine)

All of the accounts – the original account and any subsequent collection accounts – will be deleted at the same time, which is seven years from the original delinquency date. That date is the first time the original account was reported as late, and after which is was never again current.

Thanks for asking.

http://www.experian.com/ask_max/max100307b.html

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do CA's really have to delete when they sell the account to another CA?

Sidewinder, an OC and a CA may report simultaneously, but only one CA can report on the same account at a time. So, if a CA sells an account, to another CA. The selling CA has to go bye-bye from your reports when the buying CA starts to report.

I absolutely disagree with that point of emphasis, but I will double check and get back to you.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan wrote:
Sidewinder, an OC and a CA may report simultaneously, but only one CA can report on the same account at a time. So, if a CA sells an account, to another CA. The selling CA has to go bye-bye from your reports when the buying CA starts to report.

I absolutely disagree with that point of emphasis, but I will double check and get back to you.

Well, I've always believed that if a CA sells/transfers the account they must delete it. I hope that is the case and have had luck with a few CAs on mine and my spouse's report removing them after sending a DV and them not owning the account any more.

When a CA decides to sell or transfer the account, we have no control over that. I mean what keeps CAs from selling debts every few months. Even at once per year, you could end up with the OC and 6 CAs on your report before the account falls off after 7 years according to EX. That is just crazy!
Message 3 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I agree 100% sidewinder. I am checking on it for you.

Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

1 OC and 1 CA is legal. Having more than one CA reporting the same default is a NO,NO!
Message 5 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

The calvary is here! Smiley Very Happy  Thanks for clarifying that for me Fused.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.