cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do HARDSHIP PROGRAMS affect your credit score?

tag
appstate
Valued Member

Do HARDSHIP PROGRAMS affect your credit score?

I was recently laid off from my job.  I got a good sev package but I still contacted my 4 CC companies and explained to them that I was laid off.  I asked them if they could help in anyway.  I made sure to explain that I was being proactive and didn't want to fall behind on my payments.

They all gave me good programs.  No interetest for a few months.  I can't use the cards, but I don't want anyway since I'm cleaning my credit up before my wife sh*ts a brick.  

MY QUESTION: Do hardship programs hurt your credit score?  I have a 624 and I'm trying to get it up to a reasonable number.  

Message Edited by appstate on 12-11-2008 07:33 AM
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Do HARDSHIP PROGRAMS affect your credit score?

Well it seems like they are keeping your accounts open with no interest rate if you dont use the cards.. therefore I dont see any reason for your score to hurt. Unless you were on a DMP, that might be a different story.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 20
appstate
Valued Member

DMP?  What's that?
Message 3 of 20
appstate
Valued Member

Next time I will look at the common abbrev thread!

Message 4 of 20
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

DMP is a debt managent program offered by a credit counseling company. Another suicidal impact to the credit is the debt settlement program.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 5 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

Being in a DMP does not avdersely affect your credit like Debt Settlemnt does since any loss in points due to account closing will be made back up as the balances of your CCCs are paid down.  Once you are finish the DMP program, you are able to get new credit as long as your credit scores are in the required range.

If you can afford to, I would continue to pay the CCCs as before and not use the hardship program just because you can.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 20
appstate
Valued Member

OMG!  I just found out that my score went down 55pt!  Smiley Mad

Citicards reported this:

Arrangements made with credit grantor to make partial payments
Credit card

I asked them when I signed up for this if it would affect my credit score.  They said no.  I had two credit cards with them.  I just paid one of them off and have a zero balance.  I owe $4300 on this one.  

What can I do?!??!?!?!

I have a 569 score!!!!

Message 7 of 20
appstate
Valued Member

^^bump
Message 8 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

TL's dont effect you FICO score.  I will assume you got a 30 day late over this.  I would call them and pay the mimimum due and ask if they could remove the late.

As a note to those who think otherwise, my 120 day late on my CR was the result of paying too little on the monthly payment to BofA.

Dont trust anything a CSR says unless you get it in writting.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 20
appstate
Valued Member

I've not been late on a payment for a long time. 
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.