cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have this correct (regarding license to collect)

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Do I have this correct (regarding license to collect)

So, Collins Financial is trying to collect on a debt that is not mine.  They have contacted a law firm in my State (RI) and the law firm has contacted me to say they are representing this company in collecting the debt.  Now, this law firm is clearly licensed in my State, but I don't believe Collins Financial is licensed in RI, so can either of these entities bring suit against me?  In essence, if the law firm represents a CA that is not licensed to collect in my State, what will be the likely outcome?  I've DV'd the law firm today within the 30-day window.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I have this correct (regarding license to collect)

Sounds good-- sent the DV CMRRR ?
Message 2 of 4
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

So, I sent 2 Dv's.  The first was on the day I saw in inquiry on my credit report but that DV was not CMRRR.  Then I called them and they told me that I could not ask for validation (this is obviously why you NEVER call).  Then I sent them DV-CMRRR, within 30-day window.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure that CAs need a license to collect in RI?  I took a quick look at the Attorney General's website and didn't see the requirement.  But then I do admit that it was a quick look...

Even if the CA is not required to be licensed as a CA in RI, it is most probably required to have a license to do business in RI.  Contact with you via mail or phone may be the equivalent of "doing business" although this is a legal issue which varies from state to state.  Check with an attorney.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.