Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to have a credit file?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I have to have a credit file?

Seems like my question is still not answered. What legal right does a private company have to collect my government issued SSN and create a file with personal information about me without my permission?

On those lines, why can't I request the file be closed? It's more dangerous to me and my family for it to be opened.
Message 11 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I really don't know what to tell you.  The CRAs are legal companies in the US.  Because of the type of information they collect they have to abide by the FCRA.

Have you done any searching on the internet or asked an attorney these questions?

Message 12 of 20
happy0510
Established Contributor

I guess if you never plan on applying for a mortgage or any big purchase you can't afford in cash, u wouldn't need it.

You can always Opt-Out which means you won't get any offers and will limit access to your file to only those who you authorize (which will be none)!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 20
happy0510
Established Contributor

I would also like to add that you pretty much do not have a file when you have nothing in there.  You can request your credit score and it will be N/A.  This is pretty much as far as you can get with this. 

Message 14 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Info does fall off of a file over time. Eventually you'll have an empty credit file, which kind of equals no credit file.

It's an interesting question, though. If people choose to live off the credit grid, why should some of their info be viewable by businesses?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 20
happy0510
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Info does fall off of a file over time. Eventually you'll have an empty credit file, which kind of equals no credit file.

It's an interesting question, though. If people choose to live off the credit grid, why should some of their info be viewable by businesses?

This is very interesting.   The OP probably has a regular checking account with a debit/credit card that they use.   I'm sure the OP has even been asked for their zip while making a purchase with their debit/check card. IMO, this is equal to using a regular CC as far as personal data collected (Name, address, phone#, etc..).

Or do you not have a checking acct either OP?

It is rare to see someone who would like to be taken off the grid past an empty file.  The system just simply works!!

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a debit card and a checking account. There is nothing no my credit report to fall off.

I guess I should say what started my thinking. I recently spent $2000 and change fighting ID theft. Someone opened a cellphone in my name using my SSN and info. Long story short you can't just say it's not mine you have to actually fight it and in my case cost money.

So having a file open leaves me at unnecessary risk.

I guess I should call an attorney and see what they say. Honestly what would stomp me from starting a credit reporting agency and collect people's information.

The thought is interesting. If the library can't ask for your SSN and start tracking you why can they do it without your permission. Just because your born and have a SSN for work and taxes also means I have to have a credit report....thanks for all your ideas and comments. It's just frustrating.
Message 17 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I do have a debit card and a checking account. There is nothing no my credit report to fall off.

I guess I should say what started my thinking. I recently spent $2000 and change fighting ID theft. Someone opened a cellphone in my name using my SSN and info. Long story short you can't just say it's not mine you have to actually fight it and in my case cost money.

So having a file open leaves me at unnecessary risk.

I guess I should call an attorney and see what they say. Honestly what would stomp me from starting a credit reporting agency and collect people's information.

The thought is interesting. If the library can't ask for your SSN and start tracking you why can they do it without your permission. Just because your born and have a SSN for work and taxes also means I have to have a credit report....thanks for all your ideas and comments. It's just frustrating.

Wow. There were ways of fighting it for free.

If not planning to open a bank account or anything like that in the near future, you could add a fraud alert on all three reports. That makes it very difficult to get credit in your name. In some situations, though, you can get credit without looking at your 3 main credit reports. I am a 3rd party reseller for cell phones and we don't pull from the CRAs, but do use a service to check via a SSN and a driver's license number. If the crook did the same, the CRAs wouldn't even be involved. BTW, not like you only have 3 CRs to worry about there are others out there like Innovis, LexisNexis, and many many others.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I did not know there was an issue until I was surved a summons to appear in court and they tried to sue. Lawyers are expensive. They did not buy the "I did not open it " line. Took 2 days in court to proove it. Months to get it off my credit report and to have the collection agency stop calling me at work.
Message 19 of 20
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What a hassle!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.