Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Want 10 percent off with that?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do You Want 10 percent off with that?

I was in Macy's yesterday and, as I made a purchase with my debit Mastercard, the clerk asked me if I wanted to sign up for Macy's card. I told her no.

She persisted, saying I'd get 10 percent off my purchase and I'd be able to make those "impulse" buys whenever I wanted. I sighed, and said no again. She kept on....saying that it was 10 percent...that my purchase would be less than what I was putting on my debit card at that moment.

I took a deep breath and launched into my scripted answer. I told her that store credit cards had the highest interest rates and the worst terms...and the highest hidden fees. I told her that the Federal Reserve had set the nation's interest rate at 6.25 percent and that Macy's card was more like 25 percent. I told her that as long as Macy's and another store on the planet accepted my lone Mastercard, then that was all I needed.

This woman swore that Macy didn't charge hidden fees or annual fees. Yeah, right. I told her that if she really believed that any credit card in America didn't charge hidden fees, annual fees, late fees or so on, then I had some swamp land inside the U.S. Capitol she should buy. I suggested the name of a few personal finance books she could read.

What is it with these people that they just won't take NO for an answer?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do You Want 10 percent off with that?

I don't work for Macy's, but if you're being pestered hard about signing up for a credit card, I would guess that the salesperson gets a bonus for every credit card application filled out and accepted.

I think the best thing to do is just keep telling them "no" and realize that they're just doing their job.

Message Edited by JennLewis on 09-10-2007 10:58 AM
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

JennLewis wrote:
I don't work for Macy's, but if you're being pestered hard about signing up for a credit card, I would guess that the salesperson gets a bonus for every credit card application filled out and accepted.

I think the best thing to do is just keep telling them "no" and realize that they're just doing their job.

Message Edited by JennLewis on 09-10-2007 10:58 AM

I agree Jen most of the sales people get a little bonus for each cardholder who applies whether or not they are approved.  I agree with the OP that they can get a little pushy though. The sales girl may not have even had the stores card or had no idea of decent rates and what fees are charged so don't be too hard on her.  Most of America does not.

Message 3 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Zen................good post, know what you mean. I have to say, however, Macys isn't any different than any other department store when it comes to their sales personnel pushing customers to apply for their card. I must confess I have had a Macys card for many years............they are one of my two "department" store accounts. Macys reports promptly every month and I have managed to get a 15k credit line, although I almost never go above $200 a month, which I always PIF.

As far as score building or score-maintaining goes, it has served me well. And, no, I am not a Macys employee.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I know.

Target is also a credit-card pushing offender. I don't begrudge the stores trying to get customers or the clerks trying to pick up a few extra bucks via commissions.

What I do fault them for is misinformation ("Oh, no...there are no fees.....) and aggresive tactics. If I, or any customer, says no...then that should be the end of the conversation. No means NO.

Should any of us, God forbid, lose our jobs or find ourselves in a situation where we have to negotiate with these thieves, then do you think Ms. I-Need-My-Commissions will come to the rescue, or whether the store will try to work anything out during hard times? The answer is no.

Stores like Macy's, Nordstroms, Target, Sears, et...al., are the first to stand there waving a credit card application in your face and the last to step up and negotiate when their customers get into trouble.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My salesperson got $5 when I applied for the Macy's CC.
Message 6 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

creditworthyagain wrote:
My salesperson got $5 when I applied for the Macy's CC.

Did you ask him/her to share the wealth with you?  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 09-10-2007 04:04 PM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Five bucks. Now there is a tidy sum worth badgering some poor unsuspecting customer about......

The Macy's store manager's position is that it is important for customers to fully know what the benefits are in having their card.

I told him he was full of it.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midnightvoice,
My salesperson was so happy I could not make her share her windfall.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.