Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do bad things happen to good people?

tag
hopeagain
Contributor

Do bad things happen to good people?

Or are some just deadbeats?

This is just for general discussion. We all have our stories.

I always had a great credit history without even trying. I just paid my bills. Then I lost my overtime pay and had a wage freeze. After using credit cards for my lost income it was about 4 years when it all went down the toilet. I wished I had had the sense to just downsize then. I was stupid thinking just cause I worked hard I deserved to enjoy the things I wanted.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Do bad things happen to good people?

Most people here who have had problems with their credit in the past are not deadbeats and have learned from their mistakes and are actively working on improving their credit.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

bad things happen to good people all the time.  it's what you do afterward that counts.  here you are doing your best to make repairs so you're on the right track.  good luck
Message 3 of 11
hopeagain
Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
Most people here who have had problems with their credit in the past are not deadbeats and have learned from their mistakes and are actively working on improving their credit.

Yes, If they were deadbeats they sure wouldnt be here trying to improve.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

We lost almost everything and had a BK and Foreclosure due to $500,000 in medical bills for our child....I hope it was not because I was a bad person. Bad things happen to good people....and then there are those 1 or 2 that are just ignorant when it comes to finances....I like to believe that most of us on these boards are from the first group.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

And BTW being ignorant is not a bad thing in itself.  We all make mistakes and like the other poster said...it is what you do after you realize the mistake that matters. I am just thankful I found these boards!!
Message 6 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

@hopeagain wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

i don't think the OP was specifically referring to people HERE...i think it was a "in general" question.  Smiley Happy

on that note, i DO think some people are deadbeats, like my sister, who thinks it's fun to just throw her bills away.  i tend to think that most people are NOT like her, but i am realistic, & i know there are people like her out there, whether we like to think about it or not.

Message 7 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@hopeagain wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

i don't think the OP was specifically referring to people HERE...i think it was a "in general" question.  Smiley Happy

on that note, i DO think some people are deadbeats, like my sister, who thinks it's fun to just throw her bills away.  i tend to think that most people are NOT like her, but i am realistic, & i know there are people like her out there, whether we like to think about it or not.

My daughter also does not pay her bills.  She just turned 21 and the only thing on her CR are 5 CO for a lot of money.  However, in no way do I consider her a "deadbeat".

She has not learned the need for good credit yet.  Even after seeing what I have gone through for the past several years, she does not get it. 

She, like many others, need to learn from experience, bad as it may be.  When she can not get an apartment, car, CC etc, then and only then will she understand.

She works and spends her money on things she sees as important. One day she will see the light.

Message 8 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We lost almost everything and had a BK and Foreclosure due to $500,000 in medical bills for our child....I hope it was not because I was a bad person. Bad things happen to good people....and then there are those 1 or 2 that are just ignorant when it comes to finances....I like to believe that most of us on these boards are from the first group.
Mare than half the BKs in the USA are due to medical bills.  In Europe the number is zero  Smiley Very Happy 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 11
hopeagain
Contributor

@hopeagain wrote:

Or are some just deadbeats?

This is just for general discussion. We all have our stories.

I guess even though there are "deadbeats" in this world maybe a better word to describe some would be the "ostriches" approach. That's what I tell my roommate when he won't deal with issues. I've been guilty as well.

There was a time in my life you couldn't pay me to look at my credit report! Smiley Indifferent

Anyway - GROUP HUG to all of you here, you've been such a good support group with so much inspiration & wisdom.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.