cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do credit card companies spy on your swipes?

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Do credit card companies spy on your swipes?

I'm quite curious about this, when you're using one card like crazy, can your other credit card companies see what you are doing and how much you're spending while PIF?

Like for instance, Credit card is having a really good 5% quarter and credit card B 5% quarter is pretty much laaaame. Will credit card B be able to see what i'm spending on credit and want to "fight for my swipe"?

I've read somewhere that people have received auto credit line increases from one card that they weren't using much right after they used another competitor like mad, any truth?

Or can credit card companies only see what balances (if any) report from their competitors?

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Do credit card companies spy on your swipes?

Yep, and so is big brother with the patriot act.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do credit card companies spy on your swipes?

If they are using their own permissible purpose to pull your credit report for their own manual review, they can of course only see what is reported by their competitors.

They can get more than consumers usually see in their normal commercial credit reports, which often do not include monthly balances.

So, no, they wont see each transaction if the balance at time of reporting pays off a transaction during the period.

The real issue is one of cross-sharing of consumer information between creditors.

They can ask for account information from a competitor's internal data base, which could of course include the depth of information down to the transaction level.

Whether one would share such information with a competitor is highly questionable.

And of course, there may be state privacy statutes that would effect the legality of such cross-sharing.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.