Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do credit repair companies really work?

tag
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

Do credit repair companies really work?

Hello everyone

Im an mother to three children ages 10...9 and 1.  Im an junior  majoring in sociology in college plus Im also attending an massage therapist school so Im very busy.  I am really confused as to the various credit repair companies.  The most I have looked on is EDITED! I have read good and bad reviews of this from word of mouth to EDITED! I dont know what to do... I have read quite an few posts and I keep reading" Do it your self, do it yourself."

Has anyone had any experience with any credit repair companies?  Good?  Bad?  It seems like they take off the negative items and I have some accounts on my report that says paid in full but also says collection item as well. I have tried disputing it but I have been told that there is nothing that I can do and that it will stay on my report from 7-10 years. 

Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreicated.

Stong_lady

Message Edited by fused on 03-25-2008 04:12 PM
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
momof2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do credit repair companies really work?

I had an ex that used one of those credit repairing and the only thing that they can do is step up to pay less then the amount due and help you pay off the debts by making monthly payments, they cant have these things deleted once paid, also they cant charge you for their services untill all payments have been made then they can charge you their fee in assisting you in paying off those debts.
FICO2/10=EQ= 564

FICO2/10=6012/10-FACO TU 578;3/10=643
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

strong_lady,

First of all, no I am not stalking you LOL.  You just keep asking questions that perk my ears up.  :-)

Ok, as for credit repair companies, I suppose that if you happened to find the right one that had the right person assigned to your account that ate the frog that swallowed the fly... ad infinitum......

However those companies can not do anything for you that you can't do yourself MUCH cheaper and almost as easy.

I know you have several issues, so approaching them one at a time might be easier for you.  You can do yourself everything that the credit repair companies do.  And time is a factor only in that your good accounts age, and your bad ones will fall off.  Other than that if you can squeeze 15 minutes out of your day to write a GW letter, ask a question on the forums, and peruse some of the answers this is a situation you can get a hold of and turn around.

Stay strong, get proactive and you'll get results before you know it.

Good luck

Van

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  I tried Lexington for about 3 months and really saw no improvement at all.  In fact, every time they disputed something on my credit report, I got a letter from the CRA saying that it didn't appear it was from me and therefore nothing was done as far as the dispute goes.  I ended up disputing on my own and I stopped using them.  It could be that I just didn't give them enough time, but I decided I was just as capable of cleaning my credit as they were.  If you decide to try them, I'd be interested to know if you had better luck with them than I did. 

Message 4 of 11
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

Vanyel

I can see you have an good sense an humor... and its good to know that my questions interest you.  Would you trust lexington law firm and...... its just that I tried doing it myself but got exhausted after one month (lol) maybe because I was doing too much at an time.  I just wanna scream at all this ...(sigh)

Strong_lady
Message 5 of 11
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

Hhdd4

You know I have been told that there may be letters that I would receive from the CRA's that would state the letter is not from me just like you stated.  Thank you for responding to my post.  I will do this myself starting tomorrow, gotta study right now lol....

Strong_lady
Message 6 of 11
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

momof2

You know they do charge you before they start services and I dont think that is right at all.  They sound kind of bogus anyway.  But I have heard so good about them then at the same time heard bad about them.  Thanks for responding.

Stong_lady
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well in your first post you asked a general question, and in a follow up you asked me my personal opinion.  So I'll give it to you.  I wouldn't trust anyone/company that said I'll fix your credit for you.  There are far to many things they can do that will make your situation worse rather than better.  And there are a few things I can think of that I'd prefer to spend my money on.

So no, I wouldn't use Lexington specifically (read some horror stories about them), or another credit repair company (some of whom are legit and most of whom are not).

As far as doing it yourself, if attacking it all at once is overwhelming, then pick one or 2 items that need attention on your credit reports, get them resolved as best you can and then next month pick another one or two.  I think you'll find that after successfully resolving your first one, and then your second you will be hooked and when you finally get the last one resolved you'll be whipping your head around (with or without the pea soup) and your teeth bared saying "Ok....Who's next!"  :-)

Pick an easy one and fix it and see if this holds true for you.

Van

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started checking on Lexington Law Firm after I came across Chane Steiner's credit guide site. I hung out on their forum for a few weeks before finding the REAL myFICO Smiley Wink
I actually wrote to Chane asking what LLF could do that I couldn't, and that I'm a DIY kind of girl... didn't get a real solid response as to what they could do that I couldn't. So then I called LLF myself, and asked the same question again... said I'm really interested in cleaning up my credit report, but not sure you can do anything that I can't?? The response was unsettling, and the lady's voice wavered when she answered... I could tell she didn't truly believe it herself. All she said was "Because we've been doing this for 16 years and we know what things to say..."...

Well, anyone that spends a week on myFICO will "know what things to say" and can save themselves the $60/mo that they charge to do it! Also, if you read in their procedure section, you have to pull your own credit report each time and MAIL it to them. They supposedly make "corrections" then you have to pull your own credit report - AGAIN - or ask the bureau to send you the "updated" report and then MAIL it to them, again. I really have wondered, why can't they pull our reports FOR us, if they're such a squared away firm? I mean, my ap't manager can pull my report. The "buy here, pay here" used car lot can pull my report. But a 16-year-old credit repair specialty firm doesn't have the authority to pull my report? Something just doesn't jive....
Message 9 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

strong_lady wrote:
Hello everyone

Im an mother to three children ages 10...9 and 1.  Im an junior  majoring in sociology in college plus Im also attending an massage therapist school so Im very busy.  I am really confused as to the various credit repair companies.  The most I have looked on is EDITED! I have read good and bad reviews of this from word of mouth to EDITED! I dont know what to do... I have read quite an few posts and I keep reading" Do it your self, do it yourself."

Has anyone had any experience with any credit repair companies?  Good?  Bad?  It seems like they take off the negative items and I have some accounts on my report that says paid in full but also says collection item as well. I have tried disputing it but I have been told that there is nothing that I can do and that it will stay on my report from 7-10 years. 

Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreicated.

Stong_lady

Hello!

Your post has been deleted as it violates our Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines that prohibit the promotion of certain types of credit repair. Please read these guidelines before posting anything further about credit repair.

Thanks for contributing to these forums and for your cooperation!

--fused

Message Edited by fused on 03-25-2008 04:13 PM
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.