Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do disputes ding credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do disputes ding credit score?

I have now disputed Trans Union and Experian and both times after I did, I ck'ed my scores and they go down. Experian dropped over 100 points after disputing 6 things., Is this normal

New Scores TU 505 EX 512 EQ 535
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do disputes ding credit score?

Ouch! I knew that they'd ding you, but not that much!

I don't know the answer to your question. Smiley Sad

But I'm sure others who do know will chime in.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes-
This should tell you these accounts are helping more than hurting your scores.
You need to be very careful disputing positive accts.

Other than Public Records, Collections and UTL - while in dispute- these accounts are not factored in to FICO scoring.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They were all collections and negative items. I would never dispute positive items. also wondering how long does it take for a CRA to update its records? I disputed one account with them and they sent me a letter over 2wks ago that it was deleted and yet i pull a new report today and its still there.
Any info would be appreciated.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by a reporting agency customer rep that during a dispute the "account/creditor" is "hidden" or not calculated in the credit score until after the 30 days investigation is done. That may explain the drop in your score, because it happened to me too.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a little confused.  I have been disputing items on my report and some items are still being investigated.  My scores have gone up.  So are you telling me that when these items are completed being investigated that my scores may go back down?  I didn't realize that when items were disputed they were taken out of the scoring equation until finalized.  Also, if an item has been deleted after a dispute, can that item reappear later in time? 

I've been getting so excited about my scores going up, I'd hate it to be all false hope.
Message 6 of 10
Boswd
Valued Contributor

I've never had a score drop when disputing negative items.  Did they come back verified?
 The only thing I can think of is when you disputed the negative items is while in dispute as the other psoter has said, they aren't factored into the scoring model and you may have seen an increase and score but when they came back verified it dropped them back down.  Other wise this doesn't make any  sense what so ever.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

one has come back deleted  and the others are still pending. the score lowering happened 2 days after disputing and nothing else had changed other than those marked disputing

I dont know what to think! I am really getting frustrated  by the way after they say something is deleted how long should it take them to delete it off? its been 2 wks on the first one and its still there today

thanks

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just disputed charged off accounts that were deleted and my scores went ex 563-611, tr 611-650.  i'm still waiting to hear back from equifax since i manually entered it online.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind that if you dispute something that was a long tradeline even if it had some neg. associted w/ it and it drops it may bring down your score. That has happend for a lot of people on here.

I.E- a ten year accoutn and instead of trying to GW the lates they dispute as not mine and for some reason it works- it drops- and then depending on how it factored into your "age of accounts" it could drop your score
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.