cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do "hard" inquiries ever fall off before 2 years?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do "hard" inquiries ever fall off before 2 years?

@Anonymous wrote:

I never paid attention to myFico reporting the hard inquiries only for 1 year - are you sure?

all other credit monitoring services report the whole two years (Chase, EQ, EX, TC, etc.)

Oh, I'm sure.  I don't pull from anywhere besides myFico, and all of my inquiries from 2007 are no longer on those reports that I pulled in Nov 2008.  I had no inquiries from 12/07

Of course, it could just be my reports.  But I choose to not worry about that.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scott303 wrote:

I also cannot figure out what rule was broken...  Unless he/she thinks I am asking for advice on how to remove a legit inquiry??  

This report is directly from Equifax.  I cannot pull them online for some reason (not sure if it is due to the security freeze problem described in my other post).  Anyway I called the automated line at Equifax (1-800-685-1111) to request the mailed copy.  It is on this copy that I happened to notice the 2 inquiries from Charles Schwab are no longer there (I believe they were dated 12/22/2007 and 12/26/2007).   Everything else seems to be correct.  I should probably not worry about it, but I cant help but think there is some problem with my report because of this other issue I am having with the security freeze.

I didn't see any request to remove legit inquiries, and frankly do not understand what ducky meant.

anyway, if are really really curious, and the inquiries are not included among the soft ones, and you are sure of the dates of those inquiries, then you can write a certified letter to Equifax asking why the two inquiries do not appear on your report dated xxxx and giving them 30 days to respond.

As the duration of inquiries on the reports is fixed by law (FCRA), the CRA are compelled to report them for such period, and not doing so would be a violation of federal law.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I never paid attention to myFico reporting the hard inquiries only for 1 year - are you sure?

all other credit monitoring services report the whole two years (Chase, EQ, EX, TC, etc.)

Oh, I'm sure.  I don't pull from anywhere besides myFico, and all of my inquiries from 2007 are no longer on those reports that I pulled in Nov 2008.  I had no inquiries from 12/07

Of course, it could just be my reports.  But I choose to not worry about that.

thanks for pointing that out - I never paid attention to this "feature" of myFico
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome!
Message 14 of 23
Scott303

I just double checked all my soft inquiries and do not see them there either.  Also I do have 1 other hard inquiry more than 1 year old (but less than 2) still on my file, as well as numerous soft inquiries older than 1 year.

If I can find the previous report showing the 2 inquiries then I think I may take your advise and send them a dispute letter about it.  I've gotta be the 1st person to ever dispute an inquiry that is missing, lol.

Message 15 of 23
GFer
Valued Contributor

That's not something that 'I' would dispute....LOL

(I only wish all mine from this year were 'missing'.) Smiley Surprised

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

you're not breaking any rules being viglent and paying attention, the problem is not yours and it's not hurting you. sorry, but this is a very taboo topic on myfico forums and if it drags on a mod will lock the thread in no time flat.
Message 17 of 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Scott303 wrote:

I just double checked all my soft inquiries and do not see them there either.  Also I do have 1 other hard inquiry more than 1 year old (but less than 2) still on my file, as well as numerous soft inquiries older than 1 year.

If I can find the previous report showing the 2 inquiries then I think I may take your advise and send them a dispute letter about it.  I've gotta be the 1st person to ever dispute an inquiry that is missing, lol.

Ignore it. Some creditors will routinely review and delete inquiries. Doesn't happen often, but I had 2 (of 30-something) fall off EX within the past couple years. One inquiry that was removed was Amex. Can't remember the other. I'll just smile, nod, and move on.

Don't dispute anything. Bring up this issue with the CRA could possibly lead to a fraud alert.

Message 18 of 23
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

i agree with llecs & others its probably helping u more than hurting u so i wouldnt try and open that can of worms
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

demed wrote:

As the duration of inquiries on the reports is fixed by law (FCRA), the CRA are compelled to report them for such period, and not doing so would be a violation of federal law.

While this is true, the duration that FCRA requires is 1 year unless the inquiry is employement related, then it is 2 years.

FCRA sets no maximum time the inquiries can remain, only a minimum time.

So, as long as the inquiries remained at least 1 year.....all is ok. Even if they didn't, I would not complain.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.