cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do "hard" inquiries ever fall off before 2 years?

tag
Scott303

Do "hard" inquiries ever fall off before 2 years?

In December 2007 (not long after I filed CH7) I had attempted to open a checking account with Charles Schwab which resulted in them doing 2 hard inquiries on my Equifax and they denied me due to the bankruptcy.

Now (December 2008 - a year later) I have discovered those 2 inquiries seem to have fallen off.  Not that I am complaining about it, but I just wonder if this is normal?  I am a bit concerned that I have a split file or something.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do "hard" inquiries ever fall off before 2 years?

hi and welcome!

hard inquiries count for scoring for 1 year and are recorded for 2 years. any more in depth answer would be a violation of the myfico rules, sorry.

Message 2 of 23
Scott303

I dont care about scoring.  My concern is that these inquiries have disappeared after 1 year for no apparent reason.  Do I need to be worried that there is something wrong with my report (split file, etc)??  It is next to impossible to speak to a person at Equifax so I dont know where else to turn???
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's almost certainly not a split file, calling eq won't likely help either.
Message 4 of 23
Scott303

Soooooo, are you saying don't worry about it?  Or I'm screwed?  Or what?
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hi and welcome!

hard inquiries count for scoring for 1 year and are recorded for 2 years. any more in depth answer would be a violation of the myfico rules, sorry.

what does it mean?

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scott303 wrote:
Soooooo, are you saying don't worry about it?  Or I'm screwed?  Or what?

If I'm about to break any rules, I apologize in advance, but since Scott303 is still questioning...

If you're talking about the reports from myfico.com, you won't see the inquiries after 1 year because they no longer count in scoring.  

If you pull your report from the actual CRA's, such as the free credit reports you can get every year, you will see all of the inquiries on their for the last 2 years.  

So if your concern is that your myfico.com reports aren't showing inquiries after 1 year, I wouldn't worry about it, that's the way they are.

BTW, I don't think I broke any rules, cause I've seen this discussed before.  If I am, I'm sorry!Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't be too worried. I'd be more concerned that they did 2 inquiries instead of one.

But sometimes items fall off for all sorts of reasons - was it recoded to soft inquiry?

IMHO inquiries do matter only when they are an invasion of privacy by unauthorized CAs fishing for something. Their impact on scores are negligible, Lenders don't care too much, provided you don't have scores of them.

Message 8 of 23
Scott303

I also cannot figure out what rule was broken...  Unless he/she thinks I am asking for advice on how to remove a legit inquiry??  

This report is directly from Equifax.  I cannot pull them online for some reason (not sure if it is due to the security freeze problem described in my other post).  Anyway I called the automated line at Equifax (1-800-685-1111) to request the mailed copy.  It is on this copy that I happened to notice the 2 inquiries from Charles Schwab are no longer there (I believe they were dated 12/22/2007 and 12/26/2007).   Everything else seems to be correct.  I should probably not worry about it, but I cant help but think there is some problem with my report because of this other issue I am having with the security freeze.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never paid attention to myFico reporting the hard inquiries only for 1 year - are you sure?

all other credit monitoring services report the whole two years (Chase, EQ, EX, TC, etc.)

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.