Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do some research & Stick 2 your gunz- it may mean a world of difference

tag
hazzmat1021
Valued Member

Do some research & Stick 2 your gunz- it may mean a world of difference

My story starts like this: After about a 5 year hiatus, I received a bill from afni collection agency stating that I owed $267.29 on an old Verizon bill. Verizon had never sent me any notices, and it was never reported on my credit report. I immediately called afni and request a copy of the billing. A few days later, I received a basic finalized bill. I called verizon to verify the delinquincy, in which they concurred. I then, called Afni and requested a Pay For Delete. The woman kinda chuckle and stated that they don't grant PFDs. I tried to explain to her, my situation, and she still denied my request. I told her our conversation was concluded- she immediately ask can she put me on hold so she could talk to her supervisor. After a 2-3 minute wait, she stated that she cant give a PFD but they were willing to erase the collections if I paid the bill in full, first. I told her no thank you, and the rep became non professional in attitute- I hung up. I called again later that evening, and talked to another rep. He pretty much said the same thing, but much more professional in demeanor. I told him I request a PFD, and he recanted back to my earlier call- and said he couldn't. I hit him with paragraphs from Fair Debt Collections Practice Act(FDCPA), Federal Trade Commission(FTC), stating I refuse to make payment, and that I no longer wish to be contacted in reference to the collection, and I would be sending him a notice in writing. I then asked him, what is my date of last activity- NOT THE DATE THEY RECEIVED AND APPLIED THE COLLECTION. He said he wasn't sure. I made him aware that by law, he is required to make me aware of the DLA and/or send me billing as proof-or I would contact the credit bureaus for an answer. He wanted to put me on hold, I quickly replied May 2003, which meant 2010 would be my 7yr mark, and I was willing to wait until then. He put me on hold at  least 5 times while consulting with his supervsor. After getting the feeling that I was being toyed with- I hung up. Today, I received a signed notice in the mail stating that, the collections has been deleted, and I confirmed it to be true. I immediately made payment in full and everyone is happy, which leads me back to the topic of this blog. Don't get me wrong, I don't make it a habit of starting trouble with creditors, but there were several factors, or discrepancies on Verizon and Afni's behalf that put me in "the right", and I was willing to sacrifice my scores for the next year or two, to make my point. Anyway, I hope you all win, or have some type of satisfaction from resolving your own credit battles.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Do some research & Stick 2 your gunz- it may mean a world of difference

Niiiiiiiiicccccccee!

I love stories like this!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you!
Message 3 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

it's rare that someone gets anywhere by talking to collections, because of this it is strongly discouraged under most circumstances-- but you made it happen somehow, congrats!  nice work!!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 5
hazzmat1021
Valued Member

The way I see it, I'm guessing that about 70% of the nation's consumers are unaware of their rights in certain situations. Because of this, CA are able to make millions of dollars, treat us like crap, and get away with telling us BS, because we don't know any better. I bet you, that people who work at the credit bureaus, or for actual collection agencies don't have any issues with CA because they are familiar with the practices. CA despise websites like myfico, and the good people of this forum, because they equip us with the resources to fight back. I'm not implying that every CA will cater to you because you are well informed, but atleast they can spare you the unneccessary BS, and treat you with the respect you deserve. Good Blees You All 
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.