Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do utility companies have PP?

tag
DUISlayer
Regular Contributor

Do utility companies have PP?

According to myFICO, one of the inquiries affecting my credit score is Comcast from 3/07. Do they have PP to pull a report resulting in a hard inquiry?

I'm not overly worried, it should stop affecting my score in under 2 months, but just curious.

$1,500        $4,500        $1,000        $1,000       $13,500       $3,100        $1,000        $1,000        $15,000
     5/06           7/07            5/11            8/17            8/17           9/17           10/17         10/17          10/17

FICO 8 as of 11/4/17: EQ 674, TU 679, EX 665 | Gardening commenced Friday the 13th (10/13/17) | Next app: Oct '18 - 2nd AMEX

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Do utility companies have PP?

I believe they do, as do cell phone companies
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although they are an inquiry (and they do have pp) - they have a differnt category  - I have the various coding for pulls somewhere - if I can locate it I'll post
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know too, I just noticed Xcel pulled mine, which is dumb because we always pay the bill, even though for some stupid reason they increased our bill by 40% (yeah, it's normally $50, they added a $20 surcharge)...
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

mistaritalian wrote:
According to myFICO, one of the inquiries affecting my credit score is Comcast from 3/07. Do they have PP to pull a report resulting in a hard inquiry?

I'm not overly worried, it should stop affecting my score in under 2 months, but just curious.

Utility companies and cell phone companies are extending you credit, as odd as it sounds.  You receive the services before you are billed for them, so they are extending credit on one month terms.

So if you sign up for service with them you are applying for credit, hence the PP.

IMO.

Message 5 of 7
DUISlayer
Regular Contributor

cheddar wrote:

Utility companies and cell phone companies are extending you credit, as odd as it sounds.  You receive the services before you are billed for them, so they are extending credit on one month terms.

So if you sign up for service with them you are applying for credit, hence the PP.

IMO.

Actually, Verizon bills you a month in advance

But that makes sense as far as Comcast goes

$1,500        $4,500        $1,000        $1,000       $13,500       $3,100        $1,000        $1,000        $15,000
     5/06           7/07            5/11            8/17            8/17           9/17           10/17         10/17          10/17

FICO 8 as of 11/4/17: EQ 674, TU 679, EX 665 | Gardening commenced Friday the 13th (10/13/17) | Next app: Oct '18 - 2nd AMEX

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

mistaritalian wrote:

cheddar wrote:

IMO.

Actually, Verizon bills you a month in advance

But that makes sense as far as Comcast goes

They may bill you a month in advance for your basic line charges, but there is no way they can bill you in advance for usage because they don't know how many minutes you'll use.

So even when they bill in advance, they are still extending credit for that portion of the bill.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.