cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do utility payments and medical bills factor into a fico score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do utility payments and medical bills factor into a fico score?

You receive a bill that shows a due date. At that point it becomes debt. You received services (i.e electricity) for the month of March and did not pay prior to or as service was delivered. As of 01 APR you have not paid. You receive a bill say on 10 April with due date of 10 May. At this point you have both a debt and terms. Not paying it pretty clearly is a derogatory.
Message 11 of 13
specultr
Regular Contributor

x

Message 12 of 13
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Do utility payments and medical bills factor into a fico score?

I believe only if they report baddies like collections, since many utilities don't
report. Of mine, only the electric company reports; it appears as "Unknown/Other"
and does not report any detailed payment history, only "Date opened 1992" and "Account
Paid Satisfactorily."

I suppose if none of my accounts were that old the "Date opened 1992" might help my
FICO score since length of history is a factor, but mine goes back to 1982 anyway.

None of my medical bills have have ever appeared on my reports, I believe those only
get reported if they turn into baddies. Also, for medical reports the following
boilerplate appears in my Experian report:

Important Message From Experian

By law, we cannot disclose certain medical information (relating to physical, mental, or behavioral health or condition). Although we do not generally collect such information, it could appear in the name of a data furnisher (i.e., "Cancer Center" ) that reports your payment history to us. If so, those names display in your report, but in reports to others they display only as MEDICAL PAYMENT DATA. Consumer statements included on your report at your request that contain medical information are disclosed to others.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.