cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have Compulsive Credit Seeking Disorder (CCSD)?

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Re: Do you have Compulsive Credit Seeking Disorder (CCSD)?

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

You don't have to have every single symptom. Having three or more is a sign that you have the disorder.

There is no question that I have it.  I even know what the underlying cause is for me.  I am totally competitive and I see the credit business as a game that I want to win!  Once I conquer 800+, I'll move on to the next competition!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 11 of 15
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

Compulsive Credit Seeking Disorder (CCSD) is a real disorder that may point to underlying problems in your life. For some people, the act of constantly seeking and establishing credit is an escape/defense mechanism from other issues in their life. It falls under the greater umbrella of Obsessive Compulsive Disorders (OCD).

Symptoms of CCSD include:

• Applying for new credit even when you obviously don't need it
  • Going on app sprees
  • Frequent CLI requests
  • Going out of your way to artificially improve your score such as through frivolous disputes to the CRAs etc.
  • Having 6 or more hard inquiries on your report within a 12 month period
  • Daily pulling of ones credit report
  • Obsession over UTI ratio, balances reporting, etc.
  • Reading sites like MyFico and CB religiously.

Treatment for CCSD include getting the victim to acknowledge that they have a problem and helping them find and address the root cause of the disorder in their life.

After considering the criteria listed, I'd have to say no.

I don't apply for credit that I don't need. The only true app spree that I went on was for four cards, but it was a well planned endeavor to add specific, well targeted cards to my portfolio for long term use, and to replace rebuilder cards. And I do NOT engage in frivilous disputes or other such tactics, nor do I recommend that others do so, as these are unethical credit repair strategies.

Do I spend a good deal of time monitoring my reports, util and balances, and participating on this forum? Yes. But this is so that I can stay on top of my credit, learn more from others and share what I've learned. None of those activities is directly associated with seeking new credit, however.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 12 of 15
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@LesWH wrote:

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

You don't have to have every single symptom. Having three or more is a sign that you have the disorder.

There is no question that I have it.  I even know what the underlying cause is for me.  I am totally competitive and I see the credit business as a game that I want to win!  Once I conquer 800+, I'll move on to the next competition!

Exactly, I am in the same boat as you. I see this as a game. I also get a thrill from it. My goal is to have $250, 000+ in total credit and 770+ scores across the board.

Message 13 of 15
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@andre181 wrote:

This is definitely me. Those are some very hard habits to break.

Also, be careful mentioning B* here. That is one topic that is not allowed.

Yes, I see that the OP went back and removed this from the original post. But I'd like to take this opportunity to put forth a gentle reminder about myFICO forum policies regarding discussing unethical credit repair strategies:

"Credit Repair

FICO Forums is intended to provide helpful and useful tips for managing credit and understanding FICO scoring.  This is not the place to exchange “credit repair” advice that encourages consumers to provide untrue or misleading information to a credit bureau or lender for the purpose of raising FICO scores or otherwise improving credit ratings, credit histories or credit records. Such material may be edited or removed, and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation in FICO Forums."

"Going out of your way to artificially improve your score such as through frivolous disputes to the CRAs etc." would also fall under the category of unethical credit repair strategies, so let's tread carefully here. Thank you.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 15
drkaje
Senior Contributor

No.

TU, EX, and EQ only have 4 inquiries in the last year.

Want to close cards.

Got booted from CB for calling them out on man-bashing, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.