cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Excessive Credit Card Use Help Scores?

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Does Excessive Credit Card Use Help Scores?

I am working toward a FICO score of 800+ (currently at 763) and was wondering if using my credit card frequently helps build my score any faster.  Lately, I have been charging almost every purchase I make to my rewards credit card and I pay off the balance in full each month.  My average monthly charges increased from about $300 to $800 since doing this, so I guess my question is, does it matter how much I charge and pay off each month or just that I am charging something and paying it off?  In other words, does it make a difference if I charge $100 versus $1,000 each month (credit utilization aside), or is there only a difference between $0 in charges and say, $5?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does Excessive Credit Card Use Help Scores?

No. Utilization is a snapshot in time and doesn't factor in how much you use the card. You can have it report $0 monthly and still use $1000+ on it monthly and still see no difference in score. The only advantage to using it regularly is that using it at least quarterly would prevent it from being closed by the creditor for non-use. And by keeping it open longer, you extend it's reporting life and that would help your score due to the age.

Message 2 of 3
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

Re: Does Excessive Credit Card Use Help Scores?

you don't get any extra points for charging up your cards it's goes by your bal. to limit ratio (overall and by individual tl) you are considered prime plus once you hit 765 you get the best deals on all types of credit and the best deals on interest if you were to let's say go buy a car you would get the same interest rate at 765 as you would with 850 the only difference would be the very impressive higher score   

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.