Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fraud Alert really works

tag
darrell
New Contributor

Does Fraud Alert really works

Hello,

I just placed a 90 day fraud alert after my wife threaten to open an account in my name. She knows all my personal information. Long story!!

Any examples of the fraund alert actually working? I know the credtiors are not required to call if new account is opened. 

I am thinking of freezing credit lines for a few years.

Thanks for the comments

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Fraud Alert really works

They can help but it's basically just like a guy standing on the sidelines yelling warning information rather than blocking it. If you freeze your reports that is like the guy actually jumping out and blocking it so to speak. I have reports frozen, it keeps me honest. If you are worried that your wife might open an account in your name I would suggest paying the nominal fee to freeze your reports. When the storm is weathered you can unfreeze them if you so wish or temp unfreeze them each time you want to open new credit.

Message 2 of 11
power1234

+1

Message 3 of 11
darrell
New Contributor

Ok, I just freeze all three online. 

If she trys to open a new account this week, will it get frozen?

Also, to see if she open account this week, will i have to run myfico report in May 2013?

Message 4 of 11
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@darrell wrote:

Ok, I just freeze all three online. 

If she trys to open a new account this week, will it get frozen?

Also, to see if she open account this week, will i have to run myfico report in May 2013?

Yes, if you freeze them right now she can't open up any credit no matter when as long as you did it online. If you request them be frozen online, it will be frozen within 15 minutes. Once it's frozen she can't open any credit in your name without first unfreezing your reports. She can't unfreeze the reports without having the PIN number given to you when you freeze them. It's like putting a password on your credit, just don't tell her the password. If you feel she has already opened credit in your name check your reports using annualcreditreport.com

Message 5 of 11
creditjail
Regular Contributor

Yes it works but to guarantee your protected I would suggest as JollehRoger stated a security freeze is better.  I have a security freeze and it help tame me from my urge to open new accounts because with each lift I have to pay a fee.

FICO scores:EQ- 723 (6/13), TU- 722 (6/13), EX- ?
My Wallet- AMEX BCE-17.5K, Chase Freedom-6k, Cap1- 5K, BMO Harris-5K, Wells Fargo-2K,
Store Cards-Lowes- 8K, Ashley Furniture-6K, American Furniture-2.5K,

Message 6 of 11
darrell
New Contributor

Thank you, 

I just check my annualcreditreport.com from all three places and its looks normal for now. 

She made the threat to me Sunday night and I am just now setting up fraud alerts and freezes. I hope she hasn't opened any accounts prior to today.

1. What happens if she opened an account on Monday april 8?

2. How long does the freeze remain on my credit reports?

Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 11
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@darrell wrote:

Thank you, 

I just check my annualcreditreport.com from all three places and its looks normal for now. 

She made the threat to me Sunday night and I am just now setting up fraud alerts and freezes. I hope she hasn't opened any accounts prior to today.

1. What happens if she opened an account on Monday april 8?

2. How long does the freeze remain on my credit reports?

Thanks for the help.

1) If there is an account she opened fraudulantly on monday you would have to report it as fraud. But since you said everything looks normal I assume no new credit inquiries caught your attention. If she had applied for a card on monday you would see the credit inquiry. So I think you're safe.

2) Until you remove it temporarily or permanently. It can't be removed unless you have the pin. (You can get a new pin if you lose it but you have to answer questions only you would theoretically know.)

Message 8 of 11
darrell
New Contributor

Thank you for the help.

Can I run my scores at myfico.com next month or later if I want? Or do I have to lift the freeze first?

Thank you.

Message 9 of 11
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@darrell wrote:

Thank you for the help.

Can I run my scores at myfico.com next month or later if I want? Or do I have to lift the freeze first?

Thank you.

It varies. Some services such as Credit.com, CreditSesame, and Quizzle cannot softpull your report through the freeze while others like CreditKarma can just fine. I would imagine MyFico.com can pull it through a security freeze.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.