Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SL count towards UTI?

tag
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Does SL count towards UTI?

Does my husband's SL amount count towards our UTI? He recently tried for a CLI with Amazon and was declined. We recieved the letter today describing why and one of the reasons states " Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts too high" The only loans we have are his SL.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Does SL count towards UTI?

Yes they are, there considered loan term debt obligations ( as per per section 1980.345(c)(1).

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The overall category of utilization of credit has two components:  % util of revolving credit, and % balance remaining on installment credit.

Scoring is highly weighted towards % util of revolving as opposed to % balance of installments, as they have very different impacts on risk of repayment of debt.

Installment loans show debt.  You enter into a contract, receive one slug of $, and repay in set amounts.

You dont have the discretion to increase that credit.

Thus, you dont have a % util.  You have a % remaining of balance.

Installment loans are often secured by property the consumer wants to protect, so are usually the last to become delinquent should times get tough, and thus they are generally not given much weight in the FICO risk of repayment analysis.  Not sure how much unsecured loans may have a higher risk consideration in scoring.

If the question is whether installment counts in your % util scoring, the answer is no.

If the qeustion is how much a student loan affects installment scoring, I have never seen a FICO pronouncement on that issue.

Revolving accounts give you a discretionary amount to use, and thus you can increase your debt at any time up to that limit.

That discretion represents higher risk of debt, and higher debt can represent higher risk of timeliness of its repayment.

Thus, % util of revolving is given much more weight in the FICO risk of repayment analysis.

When you request a CLI on a revolving, it is obviously fair game to look at your overall indebtedness as a factor in determining the issue of whether more discretionary credit should be granted.  Installment debt can be a factor in that decision, but not in FICO analysis of your % util of revolving debt.

Message 3 of 10
user5387
Valued Contributor

Student loans do not count toward revolving utililzation, which tends to be the big one.

Another angle here is that reported balances count toward utilization, even if you PIF.

For example, if I have a single CC with a $1000 CL, letting $975 report before I PIF will make it appear as though the card is maxed out.  This is true even though I'm not carrying a balance or paying any interest.

Message 4 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@gRobertEG wrote:

The overall category of utilization of credit has two components:  % util of revolving credit, and % balance remaining on installment credit.

Scoring is highly weighted towards % util of revolving as opposed to % balance of installments, as they have very different impacts on risk of repayment of debt.

Installment loans show debt.  You enter into a contract, receive one slug of $, and repay in set amounts.

You dont have the discretion to increase that credit.

Thus, you dont have a % util.  You have a % remaining of balance.

Installment loans are often secured by property the consumer wants to protect, so are usually the last to become delinquent should times get tough, and thus they are generally not given much weight in the FICO risk of repayment analysis.  Not sure how much unsecured loans may have a higher risk consideration in scoring.

If the question is whether installment counts in your % util scoring, the answer is no.

If the qeustion is how much a student loan affects installment scoring, I have never seen a FICO pronouncement on that issue.

Revolving accounts give you a discretionary amount to use, and thus you can increase your debt at any time up to that limit.

That discretion represents higher risk of debt, and higher debt can represent higher risk of timeliness of its repayment.

Thus, % util of revolving is given much more weight in the FICO risk of repayment analysis.

When you request a CLI on a revolving, it is obviously fair game to look at your overall indebtedness as a factor in determining the issue of whether more discretionary credit should be granted.  Installment debt can be a factor in that decision, but not in FICO analysis of your % util of revolving debt.

Thank you. That makes sense now. So the "Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts too high" means we need to pay down the SL some to get this part resolved? We are hoping to start paying extra each month in the hopes of paying them off sooner.

Message 5 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

huser5387 wrote:

Student loans do not count toward revolving utililzation, which tends to be the big one.

Another angle here is that reported balances count toward utilization, even if you PIF.

For example, if I have a single CC with a $1000 CL, letting $975 report before I PIF will make it appear as though the card is maxed out.  This is true even though I'm not carrying a balance or paying any interest.

ok, that helps. We try to keep our CL below 10% at all times but we they were higher in March. This could be part of the issue.

Message 6 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

One thing to keep in mind is that even though installment loan utilization is a very minor component of FICO scoring, it still is looked at by creditors and is likely weighed more heavily in their eyes.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that even though installment loan utilization is a very minor component of FICO scoring, it still is looked at by creditors and is likely weighed more heavily in their eyes.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind.

Message 8 of 10
user5387
Valued Contributor

@JMMD wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

You could run a basic DTI calculation to see where you're at.

DTI is not used in FICO scoring, but is a big deal for loans in general.

Message 9 of 10
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@JMMD wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

You could run a basic DTI calculation to see where you're at.

DTI is not used in FICO scoring, but is a big deal for loans in general.

I I will try that. Be nice to know our DTI before we apply for our mortgage.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.