cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USPS report to credit bureaus or OTHER system after change of address?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Does USPS report to credit bureaus or OTHER system after change of address?

I received an alert from ProtectmyID which is a credit monitoring service by Experian,

It says the USPS alerted them that there was a change of address and it showed as my new address the same old address I've had for 12 yrs.

I did request a temporary forwarding of address at that time they are are reporting, but I wonder if collection agencies also know there was a change of address and are able to get the address I requested the mail to be forwarded to. I am thinking they don't since I have a couple just recently send mail to the old address not the new one.

thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RecoveredDebtaholic
New Contributor

Re: Does USPS report to credit bureaus or OTHER system after change of address?

Whether USPS actually reports the information is debatable, more likely any number of other data miners pull the info from USPS. Collection agencies know and easily obtain addresses this way. If you are trying to be somewhat off the grid:

do not forward mail, update your addresses with each creditor directly

opt out

TU FICO 10/2/14 826
Message 2 of 4
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Once you update once creditor, they will update the CRA's with your new address.  All of your other creditors will get your new address the next time the SP/HP your credit report.

I don't know if the USPS will update CRA's or not.  I wouldn't be surprised if they update your CCC's, though.  When the CCC sends you mail, the USPS may notifiy the CCC of the change of address.

Message 3 of 4
RecoveredDebtaholic
New Contributor

Another point: MOST creditors have "ADDRESS CORRECTION REQUESTED" on all their envelopes, so they get updates like that as well.
TU FICO 10/2/14 826
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.