cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Gold or Platinum card mean anything anymore?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does a Gold or Platinum card mean anything anymore?

My Costco and Blockbuster membership cards are Gold. Costco in fact is Gold Star. Very high end. Seriously, I want my Platinum library card.

CC industry chic has gone Green (original AMEX), Gold, Platinum, Blue, Clear, Black.

Some ideas for the next hip CC.

Red
"Bank of America Red. Red will keep you in the Black."

Dark (a very dark blue, not quite black)
"Citibank Dark. Don't be afraid of the Dark."

Blonde
"Union Bank of California Blonde. Get outta the dark. Like totally."

Ink (Another dark blue card, though not as dark as Dark)
"INQ Ink. Write your own future."

Crimson
"Chase Crimson. It'll stop the Red." (Overt attack on BOA Red--implying they are in fact Communists.)

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 06-14-2007 11:02 AM
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy  A mithril mastercard. Now that's appropriate. For everything else, there's lembas bread. We can all watch the House of Baggins get repossessed by the First Bank of Mordor in order to recoup some of the finance charges incurred by Frodo for destroying the shiny gold preccciousssss collateral that he "loaned". Does this mean that LOTR4 will involve a FICO analysis of the Middle Earth characters, hobbit unemployment insurance, and orc death benefits?
Message 12 of 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

The only card with a cool label is HOOTERS. Smiley Tongue
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dunno, they don't get much cooler than this.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Platnums have a higher credit limit, lower rate, require a higher FICO score for approval, allow you to have a higher debt ratio in your CR for approval (since you're a better risk) , and usually offer better benefits.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex Centurion has a $2,500 Annual Fee!

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeh, that's what we ALL need... a credit card with a $2500 annual fee. Look, pulling a card out of your wallet or purse and trying to create some "status image" by flashing it around is soooooooooo HOLLOW. What it SHOULD mean when you see someone with a high-limit card is very simple: that person is in debt up to their eyeballs.

Simple as that.
Message 17 of 18
Redbud
Established Member

I have two Platinums from Cap1 (which I don't think means a darn thing), a Discover (which is very hard to get but I got it years ago) and yet I couldn't get approved for a mileage MC.  My current score is in the dumper so it just goes to show most "preferred" ccs don't mean a thing. 

From personal experience, I do agree that with airlines and hotels silver/gold/platinum hold a true meaning.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.