cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody have PROOF that Many tradelines and Store cards are bad?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does anybody have PROOF that Many tradelines and Store cards are bad?

@NRB525 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I would also suggest you haven't been reading the entirety of my posts previously.  Each reason listed is seperate, cut and paste from the linked post:

Your FICO score: 675

Too many new accounts (Experian) 12 (including Delta skymiles new approval)

Too many inquiries in the past 12 month: 28

Number of trades. (Experian - 6 dept store, 1 installment loan, 3 AU bankcards and 6 individual bankcard)

Yes, the new accounts is one reason, too many inquiries is another reason, and the number of tradelines is a third; given that many people have gotten an Amex for their second or third card out (was my 4th) I would suggest there's no possible way it's too few.

From Reasons Letters, I usually give the first reason the most weight, and by the time they get to the 3rd and 4th Reason, often times these are the filler, because they have to select 3 or 4 boxes to fill out the form (or the algorithm does). They often don't make sense at the end of the list.

Also, in this particular set of reasons, note that 12 is the new accounts count, and yet the total count of posters accounts are only 16, throwing all of them in there together. New trumps old, because there are very few "old" accounts here.

I am mostly in agreement with you on that; however, once I found the exact wording on the denial letter a simple Google query turns up a bunch more, and some of those are in the 1+2 positions.  Capital 1 in addition to Amex uses it apparently, and I think I saw a GECRB one too.

I'm really done with this shennanigans as half it has come down to "I know you are but what am I?" without being willing to even support their position other than to state if they can't find it, it must not exist, which infinite universe theory among other things suggests is ludicrous.  If there isn't the ability to have discourse as adults then I really don't understand the point... unless someone is getting off attempting to prove how "smart" they are and in inciting other users by their posts.  Truly intelligent people rarely have to prove how smart they are.

End of the day, if you want to get 50 or 1000 accounts, go for it, but it's just not necessary, at all, and may indeed be detrimental to one's approval chances later.  The simple fact is it's impossible to know what a particular lender's underwriting will say, and anything your file doesn't comform into an expected pattern, it will get additional scrutiny... and to quote DebtAssassin: lenders being a conservative bunch, this may not always be to your benefit.  Show a bureaucrat what they're expecting to see, this is really no different.

I am also tired of individuals taking my posts (not you NRB525) and distorting them for their own worldview; I mean precisely what I state in my posts, and inferring things which aren't in them as a result of not taking the time to read them is worse than impolite.  If at some point there can be an adult conversation fine, but right now it's simply fecal matter being slung and that just doesn't interest me.

        
Message 31 of 59
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

CAPTOOL wrote 

She posted her Barclays score - 782 - which is a TU Fico 8, the same as is provided by MyFico. And she did not claim she did it with two accounts.

I don't doubt the validity of the score, very impressive.  You must admit it is unusual for such a high score in 2 years and only 6 tradelines ever.

You yourself have 6 active cards and a 800+ score, may I ask how many years your AAoA and your total number of lines on your CR?  Do you have old accounts?  Respectfully asking Sir, you don't have to anser if I'm being too nosy.

Do your own research for once, if someone can hit 740-750 with 2 cards in far less time, why is 780 unreasonable in 2 years?  

This is FICO 8 we're talking about; if you want to talk other scores (FICO 04 or earlier) fine, but FICO 8 ain't hard to get gold plated.  Your 50 tradelines doesn't mean crap to the algorithm other than possibly somewhat accelerated payment history, maybe.

        
Message 32 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CAPTOOL wrote 

She posted her Barclays score - 782 - which is a TU Fico 8, the same as is provided by MyFico. And she did not claim she did it with two accounts.

I don't doubt the validity of the score, very impressive.  You must admit it is unusual for such a high score in 2 years and only 6 tradelines ever.

You yourself have 6 active cards and a 800+ score, may I ask how many years your AAoA and your total number of lines on your CR?  Do you have old accounts?  Respectfully asking Sir, you don't have to anser if I'm being too nosy.

Do your own research for once, if someone can hit 740-750 with 2 cards in far less time, why is 780 unreasonable in 2 years?  

This is FICO 8 we're talking about; if you want to talk other scores (FICO 04 or earlier) fine, but FICO 8 ain't hard to get gold plated.  Your 50 tradelines doesn't mean crap to the algorithm other than possibly somewhat accelerated payment history, maybe.

There are also posts all over the forum from peeps with six months history and just a few cards who are already in the 725+ range in their Fico 8 scores. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that one can achieve high 700's or even 800 at two years without loading up.

Message 33 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Captool said. I won't mention names because i don't want people messaging them for "proof". Smh!
Message 34 of 59
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

No more of this asking for proof nonsense. If someone wants to willingly give of whatever without any probing for it, then fine. What we will not have is members berating other members for information more than what they are willing to share. It's simply none of your business. And, I don't even want to start in on how much I don't care if you can or cannot verify a theory you have. That's what a bunch of the beliefs we have are made up of... theories! Let it go and let it go now. First and last public warning on this issue.
Message 35 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree !  I seen a new change on the Cap One site as far as the new Credit Tracker for maybe 10 seconds.  Everyone asked to take pics but I couldn't by the ay it was set up.  You would have had to see it.  I clicked on a few of the other features and they said they were still under construction.  I doublt anyone believed me.  But I know what I seen.  It has never returned on my account since.  I'm assuming this is all new & not yet ready.  But I just chalk it up to the fact that I know what I seen & down the road others will see it too.  Smiley Wink  

It's_Me, my daughter is kind of the same story.  Got her first 500.00 secured BofA card and moved on from there.  Now it's up to 15k.  She has other cards also.  Just got approved 2 days ago for the Citi Simplicity for 7.4k.  I'm just letting everyone know that she had NO car payment, lived with us & had 2 cards at the time.  Her Fico was & is still around the same.  FYI, this is my first born daughter.  My youngest is just the opposite! lol

Please understand that most on here are adults and are not here to lie.  They're here to get help & a good credit education. Smiley Wink  Some might not post everything because they feel it is bragging.  My dad is the same way.  He was first at Normandy.  There's a book with him in it & his whole platoon?   But he has never, ever asked for anything from the Veteran's Administration.  Nor does he tell anyone about his past.  Some are just that way.  Just my 2 cents.  Sorry if this offends anyone.  Not my intentions.  Heart

Message 36 of 59
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

Equifax FICO: 700

Transunion FICO: 721

Experian FICO: 703

These were my scores with 6 months of credit history (nothing prior) with just two secured credit cards. Inquiries were definitely having a huge affect on Equifax/Experian because I had such short credit history and only two tradelines. If it weren't for that I'm positive that all 3 would have been 720+. And that's only 6 months of credit history! I believe a 760+ with two tradelines and 24 months of credit history is definitely possible. Good luck finding someone who meets that criteria though on these forums. A lot of us have went on application sprees and jump on all the rare instances like BBVA, NASA, etc around here.

With that said. These forums give all the good advice to fix your credit and maximize your credit score at a certain point in time. Which helps with approvals in the end. And you can't really factually say without a doubt that how many store cards you have makes you a risk because you don't know the criteria of every bank. I used to nitpick my denial letters as well and half of them never make any sense.

Denial letters. You know what the best way to describe them as? Your horoscope. The reasons are so general; a majority of us here on these forums probably fit into their generic description. The only thing denial letters are good for is free credit reports. I don't even look at mine anymore.

In the end, as long as you make all your payments on time; everything else doesn't matter. That's really the secret to good credit. Don't let the scores, the utilization game and other stuff get to you. You'll get overwhelmed, frustrated and get too obsessed with credit and ignore your personal life to achieve perfect credit. Just be responsible with your credit and it will grow with you over time. I think that's the best advice I can give to anyone.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 37 of 59
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

This will be my last post regarding this issue. 

I have told 100% the truth. I do not think my credit history is outlandish and is actually far more believable than some of the other things posted on this forum at times. However, I have never called anyone out (I believe there used to be a thread here called "what to do if you think a poster is full of it" and the advice was ignore it and that's what I do) and I do not like being asked to provide more proof. I know I am telling the truth and that's all that matters to me. Smiley Happy And I do not care if my posts here are not counted as being important and not respected by those who choose not to believe me. I should not have to provide more proof as most other posters are taken at their word no matter what. I work for an online business and one of the hazards is getting people that do not believe we are a real/legitimate company and they send tons of emails or call harassing us for proof we are real. We give them reasonable proof and if they still don't believe us, we just ignore it. We don't spend our lives trying to prove something to someone who just wants more and more proof. 

I will however, give a brief history of my life. I started college in 2003 and graduated 12/2007. I never had a student loan (my dad paid for my college and I saw him write a check every semester; he showed it to me to remind me not to waste his money and to get good grades). I once tried to get an American Eagle card in college but was denied due to lack of history (I had no understanding of how credit worked back then). I didn't care that much since I knew I was leaving the country anyway.

So as stated before, I graduated 12/2007 and I left the US in spring of 2008 to live and work in Japan. I came back in April of 2013 and started my credit history with a car loan at the end of the month (I had to buy a car as my parents sold the one I was using prior to leaving). So that is why I never had any US credit history as I was not here and not something I needed or even cared about. 

If there are any accounts older than my car loan, I have no knowledge of them and they were not opened with my consent. I do not have any accounts I have "forgotten" about as I had no reason to even want credit here anyway! (Yes, I actually did plan to live in Japan for much longer than 5 years)

So if you don't believe me, that's okay! I actually do not care and I don't care if you keep saying "well you didn't provide proof." I shouldn't have to provide proof. It's pretty rare for others to do so I'm not sure why I need to. 

Peace out all and I'll still be here posting and trying to give advice. Smiley Happy

I do not doubt that you have built good credit in a short amount of time. One of the original questions posed by OP was, can one get an 800 score with 2 cards in less than 10 years. I think that can be done. The discussion somehow got onto implying someone got 800 in two years, and that I think is not possible. The score can grow to mid-high 700s in two years, however the basic requirement of time limits that growth, and would slow the climb as the score gets higher. This is due to all the other factors being already perfect (no lates, low utilization presumed, not bashing the score with INQ and new accounts) and the payment history needing time to fully mature. The other concern is types of tradelines. An auto loan and a few CC may be sufficient, given enough time, but there's that time factor again. I don't think it can be rushed to get 800 in two years. 10 years? No doubt about it, yes.

I also prefer to see (or at least hear confirmation of) the source of the FICO scores, since there are so many variations available.

As we all try to understand FICO scoring, more information, more specifics are appreciated. Thanks for the updated post. Hopefully we can hear more.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 38 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX and Eq scores were well into the 750s with less than a year (more like 6 mos) AAOA before I finished paying off my first share secured loan. Dropped 40 some points when that closed. I will post screen shots when I get home from work and can use desktop very late tonight. I had NEVER had a positive account until last may. I paid off the secured loan early to lower DTI for my mortgage (not your standard 500 dollar secured loan, it was almost 7 grand which i used to get PFDs for my baddies and stsrt to build a positive file). The original term was 3 years, paid off in 1. Had i let that run a few more months, 780 maybe. Maybe not. But it certainly would have been close. In 2 years I would certainly believe I would have gotten there. 

Message 39 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

This picture had your full name. I removed it -- but if/when you want to add it back just put it here and delete this text. -kenny Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.