cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does authorizing another user increase their credit score?

tag
FKS1994

Does authorizing another user increase their credit score?

My brother has a fairly good credit score of 736. Anyways, he authorized me as for his Barclays Rewards Mastercard. I've only been a credit card holder for 7 months and I own a Capital One Journey card and most recently a Discover IT card. The thing that confuses me is that my FICO score is 727. Does my brother authorizing me have anything to do with my boosted credit score?

Note: I pay all my balances on time and have never had any problems.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does authorizing another user increase their credit score?

Greetings and welcome to the forum. Is the Barclay card already reflecting on your credit reports? Keep in mind you are not inheriting your brothers score by being an authorized user. You only receive the info of the card on which you are the AU. 

This has its pros and cons. If your brother uses it heavily and/or carries a balance that will affect your utilization score.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 2 of 8
FKS1994

Thanks, JediNeo! I am not sure if the Barclays card is reflecting on my credit report. I'm only basing this off my brother's hypothesis. Generally speaking, does authorizing one user affect that user credit score? I receive monthly statements from Discover and though I have no complaints regarding my score, I find that 727 is too high for someone with 7-8 months of credit history.

Message 3 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@FKS1994 wrote:

Thanks, JediNeo! I am not sure if the Barclays card is reflecting on my credit report. I'm only basing this off my brother's hypothesis. Generally speaking, does authorizing one user affect that user credit score? I receive monthly statements from Discover and though I have no complaints regarding my score, I find that 727 is too high for someone with 7-8 months of credit history.

Depending on the age of the AU account, it could have boosted your AAoA which is a positive mark on your credit report. That could account for it.

Message 4 of 8
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it would affect your credit score by being an AU. It should boost your AAoA and overall credit limit. Just remember Good also comes with the bad. If he decides to go on a spending spree or misses a payment you will also be affected. In which you would have to contact the CRA and remove yourself as an AU.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 5 of 8
FKS1994

Thanks to you and azguy13. Much obliged. I am fairly certain that my brother won't be going on any shopping sprees without my condolences. He's more responsible than I am!

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Additionally, once you have an account of another reported to your file, it is included in your scoring, and can thus help when evaluation is based only on a credit score, but if a credtir does a manual review, sees an AU, and then wishes to see your score absent the contrivution of the AU account, they cannot do so.

An artificial score based on AU inclusion may not be given the same weight in a determination made by a prospective creditor.

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@FKS1994 wrote:

Generally speaking, does authorizing one user affect that user credit score?

Depends on several things.

First, it depends on whether the card reports for the AU.  Not all do.  If it doesn't report it can't help or hurt the AU.

Second, as indicated above, being an AU on a card that reports for the AU only means that the tradeline shows up on the AU's reports.  Whether it helps, hurts, or doesn't have much impact all depends on the AU's credit and the tradeline.  If the tradeline has positive info it can help.  If the tradeline has negative info it can hurt.  It's also possible that the tradeline may not not provide much benefit as it's not just good/bad but can fall anywhere in the spectrum in between the two extremes.

@FKS1994 wrote:

I am not sure if the Barclays card is reflecting on my credit report. I'm only basing this off my brother's hypothesis.

It's certainly possible (and I would guess likely in your case) but to verify you'd have to confirm whether its reporting or not and ensure that there were no other changes that would account for the increase.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.