Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does closing cards ding your FICO?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I don't mean utilization or AAoA because I know how those two work, but simply just closing the cards. Not just once in a while but a bunch at once. In the last 6 months I've closed:

First Premiere 

Credit One

Merrick Bank

...and if Capital One brings back the account combination than I'll be closing my QS MC and combining that limit.

I guess the reason I'm curious is because after I do this I'll be down to 2 cards and I know to optimize FICO I need 3. Not to mention I'd like to add something that's better than the ones I recently closed. Will that somehow inhibit a new app?

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does closing cards ding your FICO?

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

I don't mean utilization or AAoA because I know how those two work, but simply just closing the cards. Not just once in a while but a bunch at once. In the last 6 months I've closed:

First Premiere 

Credit One

Merrick Bank

...and if Capital One brings back the account combination than I'll be closing my QS MC and combining that limit.

I guess the reason I'm curious is because after I do this I'll be down to 2 cards and I know to optimize FICO I need 3. Not to mention I'd like to add something that's better than the ones I recently closed. Will that somehow inhibit a new app?

The simple act of closing a card does not affect your Fico score.

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

No but I'd probably pick up a 4th before I consolidated down to 3.  It was an old lender overlay and yeah, 1/2 cards reporting a balance is probably worse than 1/3 cards reporting a balance, but do what you need to do.

Fact is the consolidation will still be there after you pick up another card or two anyway, no need to rush into that one.

        
Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

First Premiere 

Credit One

Merrick Bank

Have you read this thread about Closing Credit Cards? It might give you the answers you seek.

Plus IMO you can do the same thing with two cards as you can with three or more..

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

First Premiere 

Credit One

Merrick Bank

Have you read this thread about Closing Credit Cards? It might give you the answers you seek.

Plus IMO you can do the same thing with two cards as you can with three or more..

Short term score maximization?   Not sure I buy that with how one of the revolving utilization metrics appears to be calculated but it'd be an interesting test.

        
Message 5 of 8
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention I've rarely gone over 5% utilization, ever. I really didn't want to app until at least 2016 when I won't have any inquiries on any reports, and if I could wait until 2017 when my last baddie falls off. I just feel if I apply now with my scores I'll recieve a smaller limit. I don't need more credit as I live well below my means, but I know for FICO some more revolvers wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed my secured card and my scores dropped 100-120 points, pretty scary. However it was my first card, and it recovered almost 70 points the next month. Not sure how long it will take to recover Completely. 

Message 7 of 8
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Yikes! That's crazy!!! Glad the majority of it has recovered!

Personal:

Business:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.