cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a credit card re-issued with a new number to stop unauthorized charges affect credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does having a credit card re-issued with a new number to stop unauthorized charges affect credit?

There's a company that has been charging me $28 per month, from a trial offer I tried a few months ago.  They never pick up the phone, so I haven't been able to tell them to stop.  My credit card company is issuing disputes and getting me the refunds.  They said the company might keep billing me in the future, and since I can't reach them, I can't tell them to stop.

My credit card company said they could re-issue my credit card with a new number, so that company would have the card decline.

I'm worried this might affect my credit.

Would this be seamless, not affecting my score?  Or, would this affect it like if I had closed an account that had been open for quite a few years and gotten a new account?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Does having a credit card re-issued with a new number to stop unauthorized charges affect credit

Usually the history carries over, you should be OK, but you might want to purchase your report and scores right now and once again in two or three months just to check that it is being reported correctly. A while back my wife and I got a call from the security department for one credit card company saying they had detected suspicious transactions so would send us new cards. All was OK in my reports, I did check.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 2 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Does having a credit card re-issued with a new number to stop unauthorized charges affect credit

It should not affect your credit history. Make sure all other valid charges have posted before they update the sccount. If have payments set up to be made on this card you might need to make other arrangements. It will take a week or so for the new card to arrive.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 4
ferrari
Regular Contributor

And next time use a virtual card number to apply for trial offers. AFAIK CITI offers that feature maybe Discover too.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.