cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does installment loan limit change as your FICO changes?

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Does installment loan limit change as your FICO changes?

My util on my installment loans is very high at the moment because of my student loans.  It is going to take many years for me to pay those loans off, so I was wondering do the CRAs increase your personal limit for installment loans as your FICO improves or does it stay the same no matter what?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Does installment loan limit change as your FICO changes?

what do you mean, personal limit?  installment loans are a fixed amount that slowly decreases over time as you make your payments...fico doesn't have anything to do with those amounts.

Message 2 of 7
lithium78
Established Contributor

Like, for instance, I have $74000 in student loans and my report from annualcreditreport.com says that I can borrow up to $90000 in installment loans.  Does that amount increase as my FICO improves?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@lithium78 wrote:

Like, for instance, I have $74000 in student loans and my report from annualcreditreport.com says that I can borrow up to $90000 in installment loans.  Does that amount increase as my FICO improves?

I kind of doubt it. First of all, that bit on annualcreditreport.com is probably more of a you-might-be-able-to-get-this-much-or-that-APR-with-your-scores note.

The loan amount is generally more of a function of your ability to repay (= income) or expectation of future ability when it comes to student loans. I can see it if there's a huge difference in scores, and with the low score you can only borrow $20K, and the new score lets you borrow $60K or something. But the more I think about it, the more I can believe that I might be completely wrong. Smiley Very Happy

If you're still in school, this sounds like a good question for your student loan office, or for your original lender.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lithium78 wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen such a notation on any of my reports but that's only me.

Installment loans are fixed amounts from the beginning and once they are paid off the account is closed. They are not like revolving credit that stays open and can be drawn upon, paid down, drawn upon, paid down, etc. over and over.

Of course I might not be understanding your question.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen such a notation on any of my reports but that's only me.

Installment loans are fixed amounts from the beginning and once they are paid off the account is closed. They are not like revolving credit that stays open and can be drawn upon, paid down, drawn upon, paid down, etc. over and over.

Of course I might not be understanding your question.

+1 Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree, I haven't seen this notation before, I'm guessing that is related to some of the scoring advice that one of the CRAs dished out.

FICO scoring is MUCH more sensitive to revolving debt %util, than installment %util.  In fact, it may really not be a factor at all that can affect your score.

Don't worry about your installment %util.   Just pay it down as scheduled, or early if you can budget it accordingly.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.