Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it make sense?

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Does it make sense?

Does it make sense to sell some of my pension to pay off some high interest CC, loans, and possibly a 2nd lien?  Or would it be better to sell some of it to by a home and then receive the profits of the home through rental income and have a paid off home and deed?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Does it make sense?

I'm moving your post to the general credit topics forum.

Message 2 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Two things come to mind immediately:

1. A question of this magnitude deserves a carefully researched and knowledgeable answer from a CPA or investment advisor with respect to the tax implications, future growth capacity of the pension funds, and your long term financial goals. Probably better to pay for advice than ask an internet forum for opinions.

2. To offer an opinion anyone would need a lot more info such as your age, what type of pension, what types of debt, home price / rental income, tax information, etc.

So I guess if you want an answer it would be NO don't do it until you understand all the implications. I know Suze Orman says NEVER, NEVER, NEVER touch a 401K / Non-ROTH IRA to pay current debts if you are not retired already.

Just did spell check and found it funny that they want to replace Suze Orman with Suez Roman.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

What type of pension is it ?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 7
babbles
Established Contributor

military

Message 5 of 7
babbles
Established Contributor

47, wife is acdu military, thinking about possibly thinking about purchasing a foreclosure home or paying off  1 high balance cc (18k), 2 loans, or maybe purchasing a home free and clear.  I have researched 3 companies and compared but WHEW!  Not sure.

Message 6 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

When you say selling your pension off if you are talking about one of those plans where they provide cash up front for forfeiture to them of your long term obligation I would tread very carefully. Especially if your wife has survivors benefits tied to your pension. Again I would seek professional advice instead of trying to figure it for yourself. Unless your education and background is in finance.

I have a good friend who is a CPA / MBA and probably some other letters I'm forgetting. I run all my best financial ideas by her. She points out the (sometimes fatal) flaws in my plans.Smiley Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.