cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does leasing a car hurt credit vs buying?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Does leasing a car hurt credit vs buying?

Is my credit affected negatively by leasing?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tbolt2
Contributor

Re: Does leasing a car hurt credit vs buying?

In my experience.....no.   YMMV... literally Smiley Very Happy

In May 2011 I financed a new Altima through Nissan for my wife. In January 2012 I leased a a new Altima through Nissan for myself. The only impact on my score - that I could see - was the 2 - 3 point drop due to the inquiries in each instance. The lease reports to the three bureaus, just like a loan would and the amount of the lease is included with my other installment contracts.

One possible advantage I see with the lease - if the amount of outstanding debt is an issue. The credit line for the lease is only the amount being paid during the term of the lease...I know, common sense....maybe but - we have to new Altimas, which cost approximately 25,000 each. They are almost Identically equipped, just different model years. The loan shows a 25,000+ tradeline, the lease half that. In other words, as far as my credit report is concerned, I'm getting a 25,000 car with only half the cost hitting my report.....

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: Does leasing a car hurt credit vs buying?

tbolt

Thank you for that.You gave me info I wasn't aware of.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.