Established Contributor
dog

Re: Does "Pre-approval" mean anything?

i am no expert, but i would imagine that there is some correlation between your scores and/or reports and which companies send you pre-approved offers....does anyone know what info lenders with whom you have no tl's get from soft pulls?

as my scores get better, i am getting pre-approved offers from prime lenders....havent applied for any of them.  when my scores were crap, i only got offers from subprime lenders.
Contributor
ALEXREDD

Pre-approvals and $4 will buy you a latte.

I've been rejected by every pre-approval I've applied for.  Some of them are generated by your credit score range (for example, Capital One might periodically send out pre-approvals to everyone with a 550-600 fico). 

Others, I learned to my chagrin, will send you pre-approvals based on what magazines you subscribe to.  I subscribe to the Economist.  They have my last name misspelled (**bleep**e instead of White).  I receive a few offers from AMEX with this same misspelling.

Pre-approvals cost me about 7 inquiries with NO credit card approvals. 
Established Contributor
dog

you are paying too much for them thar' lattes....

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+