cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does signing up for a credit reports ding score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does signing up for a credit reports ding score?

May be a dumb question, but if I sign up for a few free offers to view my scores online, does it ding my credit score or act as an inquiry?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does signing up for a credit reports ding score?

NO the inquiry for your own report does not ding your score.
Message 2 of 9
oracles
Valued Contributor

Just remember Craig, These might not be real fico scores. They will probably be fako scores. There are only  few places where you can get real fico scores.

Let us know where you are getting these free scores and we can tell you if it is fako or fico.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering the same thing... I have  CreditOne card and when you log into the account one of the "perks" is you can check up on your credit score. It says its from EX, and I clicked on it the other day, and immediately regretted it since I didnt know if it would be a hard inq or not. Anybody know? 
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently just got one free at freeficoscore.com.

I tried to pay for the $14.95 monthly fee for Equifax and I had to call to verify identity. After several answers, they looked and said I don't have any accounts in my name? No need for a score.

What? I am new to credit but I am 23 years old. I have a Zales and Dell account but no CC. I also have student loans thar are deferred. I start paying one of them in June. That is all I have. 

Help?

Message 5 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

@ photobywes wrote:
I was wondering the same thing... I have  CreditOne card and when you log into the account one of the "perks" is you can check up on your credit score. It says its from EX, and I clicked on it the other day, and immediately regretted it since I didnt know if it would be a hard inq or not. Anybody know? 

the CreditOne FAKO credit score check is a soft inq.

(checking your own credit score always = soft inq.)

hard pulls in general are placed only in connection with an explicit request for credit from a lender, any form of self check should always = soft. inq.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

There are many different credit scores floating around, but the only useful ones are FICO's. You can get all three (EQ, TU, and EX) here at the myFICO site. (Be sure to google FICO discount code first.) You can also get your EQ FICO from the Equifax site. You can get your TU FICO from www.transunioncs.com. (Note the cs.) You can get your EX FICO here and only here, and you can only do so through this Friday. They have decided to stop allowing consumers to see their FICO scores. Smiley Mad

All other scores --those sold by TU and EX from their sites, and those sold by credit monitoring services like TrueCredit, PrivacyMatters, free-credit-report-dot-com, and so forth, are what we call FAKO's. They are created by a different formula than FICO's; they don't track your FICO scores; and they aren't used by lenders.

Save your money and get FICO's.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took one of those free score offers floating around and pulled my real Equifax score today.

Incidentally, it was exactly the same FICO score as my FAKO from CK (they pull TU I think). But I guess that's just coincidence. Usually, the CK FAKO looks too good to be true.

Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

craigh, I've seen some of your other posts, and understandably, you have lots of questions in varying areas --PFD's, GW's, inqs, etc.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.

It's too hard and confusing to just ask a bunch of questions and try to make sense of the answers you get, without having some sort of backbone of understanding. I think that reading through these will really help you out.

And also, AFTER you read these, take a look at Frequently Requested Threads. Don't mess with those until you've read the others though. Get that first level of understanding in. hth
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.