Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the creditor see my disputes?

tag
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

Does the creditor see my disputes?

Good evening all, when a creditor pulls a particular bureaus report are they able to see the items that your disputing?  And if so how does the potential creditor view this?

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Does the creditor see my disputes?

@TilltedBrim wrote:

Good evening all, when a creditor pulls a particular bureaus report are they able to see the items that your disputing?  And if so how does the potential creditor view this?

Yes, creditors will see accounts that are marked as being "disputed by the consumer".   Generally it won't be an issue unless someone manually reviews your credit reports, like a mortgage underwriter.    For credit card applications I have never been questioned about accounts marked as being in dispute.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your response Pizza dude.... If you don't mind I have one more question regarding items in dispute.  Do item that are currently being disputed have any impact on your FICO score or are these items not being considered in your FICO because of the dispute status?  Thanks in ad vance...

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@TilltedBrim wrote:

Thank you for your response Pizza dude.... If you don't mind I have one more question regarding items in dispute.  Do item that are currently being disputed have any impact on your FICO score or are these items not being considered in your FICO because of the dispute status?  Thanks in ad vance...

For OC accounts only, FICO will ignore the balance, CL, and payment history under a dispute. OTher aspects like age, AAoA, mix of credit, scoring bucket, and the like are still factored in while OC accounts are in dispute.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Aside from the numerous other benefits offered by the direct dispute process, a side benefit could be the avoidance of a dispute flag.

When a consumer disputes through a CRA, a dispute flag is automatic, as the CRA is necessarily aware of  the dispute.  That is not the case with respect to a direct dispute.  Unless the furnisher takes the additional step of separatetly reporting the dispute to the CRA, then the CRA will be unaware of its presence.

Many posting in the forum cite CRA failure to remove the dispute flag after they have concluded their reinvestigation as being common.

In my opinion, it is usually better to keep the CRA out of the process.... particuarly by avoiding their santitation of your dispute through their e-OSCAR process.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.