cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the number of credit cards really matter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the number of credit cards really matter?

Hi, I am rebuilding my credit.  I currently have a debit card (no credit value) and a major secured credit card.  I am a high-volume user on this card to the average $2,000 plus a month and I pay it off every month too.  My desire however to try and "accelerate" the process of raising my score more quickly.  My question is should I just stick with one card or should I add on other cards?  Do more cards really improve the credit score?  If they do improve your score, please tell me how?  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does the number of credit cards really matter?

Yes these factors are considered for your FICO score:

1. Lines of credits you have in good standing (many have different opinions but I believe 3 -5 is a sweet spot).
  2. Your AAoA, so you want to start building history with a few cards.
  3. Your utilization to debt ratio will have a higher disparity since the more cards you have the more credit you will have versus debt (if you are being responsible of course!).
Message 2 of 3
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Does the number of credit cards really matter?

3 or more cards are needed for best number of cards reporting, and be sure to PIF before statement cuts, Leave one card showing 1-9% balance for best UTL score.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.