cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doozy for you- Comcast (cable) Deposit?!?

tag
ccsauer
Contributor

Doozy for you- Comcast (cable) Deposit?!?

Hey all-

Got a letter from Comcast (Cable company) saying that they require a deposit in order to start service. My wife set up the account with her information ad gave them her credit info. Her credit is perfect, for our age (24 and 25), and had high 700's scores. I would like to dispute this issue with Comcast. Anyone had any issues like this in the past that they would know how this works? Thank you for any insight!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Doozy for you- Comcast (cable) Deposit?!?

Threaten to get Direct TV?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't understand that at all. I ordered cable and internet though comcast earlier this year, and even with my horrible credit (high 500's) the only thing they asked for was 1st months payment and connection fees when they came to set it all up. So I think it's crazy they are asking you for a deposit with you high credit scores. I would question their motives.....Good Luck
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting Comcast hooked up today and no one mentioned a credit check or deposit to me.  In fact,  I asked them if they did a credit check because I did not want an inquiry apprearing on my report.  They said they did not. 
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

They do a hard pull.....
Message 5 of 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

They do a hard pull.....

Which costs less than a deposit  Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure. A deposit will come back to you with interest in 12 mos Smiley Happy A hard pull COULD hurt your FICO and cost you $$$ over the course of that year. Smiley Happy Yea pretty slim but I couldn't resist.
Message 7 of 16
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

bamf70 wrote:
I'm not sure. A deposit will come back to you with interest in 12 mos Smiley Happy A hard pull COULD hurt your FICO and cost you $$$ over the course of that year. Smiley Happy Yea pretty slim but I couldn't resist.

I could get a better interest rate by using the deposit for a CD, and in 12 months the inq will drop from my account.  Plus when I move, I can move direct TV free and NOT get a inq from a new cable company  Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

They do a hard pull.....

Direct TV didn't do a hard pull on us. That's crazy, they have control to cut you off in a second, why the heck would they need to do a inq?
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

bamf70 wrote: I'm not sure. A deposit will come back to you with interest in 12 mos Smiley Happy A hard pull COULD hurt your FICO and cost you $$$ over the course of that year. Smiley Happy Yea pretty slim but I couldn't resist.
I could get a better interest rate by using the deposit for a CD, and in 12 months the inq will drop from my account. Plus when I move, I can move direct TV free and NOT get a inq from a new cable company Smiley Very Happy

I'd like to see you get better interest on less than $200....good luck getting a CD with that pittance Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.