Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double HP in Equifax by Comcast !?!

tag
kdhith

Double HP in Equifax by Comcast !?!

Hi all--

Here's a quick question from a long-time lurker.

I pulled all of my credit reports back in January and was surprised to see a double-HP from Comcast listed in my Equifax report. When I opened my Comcast cable account in December, they HPed on December 10 and December 12.

Immediately upon discovering this, I contacted Comcast via their horrific customer service channels, and finally reached someone through their online support chat who told me that they would look into it and  resolve the issue. I pulled my 3 FICO scores again today and found that it was not corrected. Again, I've been told that it will be addressed, but that remains to be seen.

My question is--to what degree does that realisticaly hurt my score? My MyFICO report for EQ lists a BAD mark for new credit, listing 3 inquiries- the two Comcast HPs and a mortgage company HP that will be a year old in a week or so. I'm trying to do what I can now, because I'll be applying for a mortgage within a month or so.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that Comcast does a HP for a cable account at all. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

K

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Double HP in Equifax by Comcast !?!

Message 2 of 5
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I still don't understand why HP someone for cable or even sign a contract for cable.   

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@ways2go wrote:

I still don't understand why HP someone for cable or even sign a contract for cable.   

It's because they're potentially extending you "credit" in the form of telephone, cable, etc. service for a month.   You will incur charges in advance of paying for them, so they want to assess the likelihood of being paid on time.

Almost all utilities, cable, telephone, etc... companies will pull a CR for new customers ~ although in some cases it is a soft pull.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

They do all the time in my area. Have friends who were hit with Hard pulls also. Comcast is just too big  with awful Cust Service. I dumped them years ago for Dish. Tell them you will dump your account if they do not clear up those HP's. Just awful

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.