Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drastic Score changed in 1 day

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drastic Score changed in 1 day

Help !!!

Yesterday I pulled in Equifax report off of the Equifax web site that I have been using for the past year and had a score of 663. Today I decided to purchase the my fico and the Equifax score was 577. Can anyone explain this to me????

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Drastic Score changed in 1 day

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Yes, unfortunately the score that you bought directly from Equifax is what we call a FAKO, a credit score that isn't a FICO score. The one that you got here is a FICO, which is what most lenders use.

There is very little relationship between FAKO's and FICO's; in other words, no formula that works all the time (or even most of the time) to convert one score to the other.

Equifax used to sell consumers our FICO scores. But alas, they've now joined the others in making money off of consumers who don't realize the difference.  Smiley Mad

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
tbolt2
Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Yes, unfortunately the score that you bought directly from Equifax is what we call a FAKO, a credit score that isn't a FICO score. The one that you got here is a FICO, which is what most lenders use.

There is very little relationship between FAKO's and FICO's; in other words, no formula that works all the time (or even most of the time) to convert one score to the other.

Equifax used to sell consumers our FICO scores. But alas, they've now joined the others in making money off of consumers who don't realize the difference.  Smiley Mad

No kidding.....my scores are the exact opposite of the OP's - Equifax FAKO is 596, MyFico is 652.

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

equifax actually does sell your FICO score.  looky here ----> http://www.equifax.com/myfico-products/

you have to look for that link in their website because it's not really easy to find.  but their website indicate that the score they give you is based on their own scoring system.  and then in some part of their website, they tell you that if you want the report with your actually FICO score, it gives you the link to it.  like i said, it's not easy to find but if you pay attention on their website and look hard enough...you'll find it.

Message 4 of 8
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

LOL...im sorry.  yes i meant Equifax.  thanks for the correction.  post corrected....too early in the morning still. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.  Equifax sells both FAKO scores and FICO scores.  Your link takes you directly to the FICO products they have on their site.

But, when you're wandering about the Equifax site, you have to work really really hard to find the available FICO scores. 

The most accessible scores available for purchase on their site, are, unfortunately, the FAKO scores.

You almost have to have a PhD in FICO-dom to know which score you have when you purchase from their site.

Tricky.

When you purchase an Equifax score from this site, it is always a FICO.

Simple!

Message 6 of 8
tray
Valued Contributor

So can I ask,  is the equifax score from equifax's score watch site a fako or fico score, thanks for any information.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ScoreWatch is a FICO score, most other products on the Equifax site are FAKOs.

You have to be super vigilant to get a FICO from their site. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.