Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drastic drop in FICO score....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drastic drop in FICO score....

This is my first post here, so I hope this is on the right forum.

In Feb 2007, my FICO was 699.  We had approx. $14,800 owed on a Providian card with a $16,075 credit limit (with 19.8% interest!!) and approx. $3500 owed on a Chase card with a $4400 limit (and 21.9% interest!!).  We've had each of these cards about 8 years.  Tired of paying the high interest and getting basically nowhere with the balance,  in September 2007, we transferred those balances to a new card (Bank of America) with 0% interest for one year.   Due to a huge increase in my pay at work and better budgeting, we are down to only owing about $6000 and that will be paid off by the end of next month. 

After transferring those balances, my FICO went down to 640 in October 2007.  We closed the Chase ($4400 limit) card in Dec 2007 because they were a pain to work with.  Our available credit to us for revolving accounts shows as $39,075.  For January, my FICO is 629!!!! Ouch!!  Where did I go wrong?  Should we not have closed the Chase card?  Also, we were thinking about asking Providian to drop our credit limit to $5000 (if they will give us a lower interest rate to stay with them).  Any other thoughts?  Or how would you handle this? 

Oh, by the way there are no derogatory items on my credit report and the only other accounts we have are the mortgage ($107,000 balance, $917/month payment) and van loan ($12,800 balance, $294/month payment).  

We're looking to buy a different home within the next year but not with this FICO!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Drastic drop in FICO score....

By closing accounts you hurt your UTIL % - don't close any more until we disect the situation!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My thought was to close the newer card (opened in Sept 07)  once it is completely paid off next month since it's a short term history.  Should I not close that one either?

Also, does lowering our credit limit make a good/bad difference?

Message Edited by threeboys2raise on 01-22-2008 01:34 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing cards is not the answer to raising your score back up.  You have already lost the avail on the Chase Card by closing hit (hence the 2nd 'hit').  Initially you probably dropped because of the transfer and maxing BofA (and remember that Chase and Providian may have still been reporting the balances - it takes 2-3 months for things to catch up).

Do NOT ask for a decrease in your Providian CL - at this point, pay off the BofA and call Chase to see if you can re-open with them (I loathe Chase and am telling you to do this). Don't close the BofA - use it and PIF after you clear the transfer.  Same for the others.  As BofA gets a lower balance (and util%) - your score will rise - slowly unfortunately - FICO takes away quickly but gives back very slowly.  Getting the Chase CL back will help util a lot.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for your input.  I detest the thought of asking Chase to reopen our account, but I'll do what I can to help the FICO at this point.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You also took a hit for the new CC, which you should gain some points back in about 6 months of payments. Stop closing the cards. If you don't like them just do not carry a bal and SD them.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.