cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ site says collection accounts remain for 7 years from date of last activity????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ site says collection accounts remain for 7 years from date of last activity????

Based on what I have read here I thought that collection accounts remain for 7 years from date of first delinquency.   On the Equifax website it states that it remains for 7 years from date of last activity.  In this case if you pay off a collection then the 7 year clock would start all over.    Can anyone here clarify??.

The Equifax Information Service Center

How Long Does Information Remain On My Credit Report?

Credit Accounts

• Accounts paid as agreed remain for up to 10 years.
  • Accounts not paid as agreed remain for 7 years.

Collection Accounts

• Remain for 7 years.

The time periods listed above are measured from the date in your Credit Report shown in the DATE OF LAST ACTIVITY field accompanying the particular credit or collection account.

Courthouse Records Remain for 7 years from date filed except:

• Bankruptcy-Chapters 7 & 11 remain 10 years from DATE FILED.
  • Bankruptcy-Chapter 13 non-discharged or open remain 10 years from DATE FILED.
  • Unpaid Tax Liens remain INDEFINITELY.
  • Paid Tax Liens remain up to 7 years from the DATE RELEASED.

California State Residents Only: Unpaid Tax Liens remain 10 years from DATE FILED

Message Edited by ee on 02-28-2008 12:46 PM

Message Edited by ee on 02-28-2008 12:46 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: EQ site says collection accounts remain for 7 years from date of last activity???

I don't know what EQ says but FCRA says 7 years from the DOFD.  And I think they may have a little more pull than EQ. 
Message 2 of 3
sh9730
Regular Contributor

Re: EQ site says collection accounts remain for 7 years from date of last activity???

Well, what happens is that on MYFICO since EQ does not list a "this item scheduled to fall off" like EX and TU do, they use the DOLA on their reports.  HOWEVER, the DOLA EQ uses is the SAME DATE as the DOFD from the other bureaus.  I just confirmed this last week.   I disputed something, EQ verified (thats another story for another time) but the DOLA is still the same as the DOFD from the other CRAs.  SO, for whatever reason on MYFICO they transmit the DOLA as the DOFD. 

BUT, if you get your report directly from EQ (I have daily pull), they do list the DOFD...and THAT is what schedules the drop off date....
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.