Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQUIFAX Credit File Blocked?

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

EQUIFAX Credit File Blocked?

When I applied online for my annual free credit report, I had to print out and submit a copy of my SS Card and Driver License with current address. I could not view it online. It took practically 30 days just to receive.  I had no idea why.

I noticed on my CR that they send me that it has the following in the Personal ID section:

"ALERT(s): File Blocked For Promotional Purposes" 

It is in bold print and I have no idea why it is there. I have never requested any type of a block.

Does someone know what it means or how it got there?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: EQUIFAX Credit File Blocked?

@BluePoodle wrote:

When I applied online for my annual free credit report, I had to print out and submit a copy of my SS Card and Driver License with current address. I could not view it online. It took practically 30 days just to receive.  I had no idea why.

I noticed on my CR that they send me that it has the following in the Personal ID section:

It is in bold print and I have no idea why it is there. I have never requested any type of a block.

It means you have been opted out for receiving solicitations from creditors. It is done automatically whenever a FA or security freeze is placed. You can opt back in by going to:

http://www.optoutprescreen.com/

Message 2 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

It means you have been opted out for receiving solicitations from creditors. It is done automatically whenever a FA or security freeze is placed. You can opt back in by going to:

Thanks, what is a FA or security freeze?  Is that also why I could not pull my report online like EX and TU?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@BluePoodle wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

Thanks, what is a FA or security freeze?  Is that also why I could not pull my report online like EX and TU?

FA = fraud alert 

Security freeze is when you have requested a freeze on your CR's.  You had to contact the CRAs and ask for them to be frozen.  

Did you ever file disputes? 

Message 4 of 6
physicist82
Regular Contributor

It doesn't only come from a fraud alert or freeze. Our mortgage broker gave us a link to an opt out form where we opted out of prescreen offers. He was positive that it would raise the score the 2 points that we needed at that time. 

We were able to pull our reports for TU and EX online through the annual credit report site but equifax gave both of us trouble and wouldn't let us do it online. 

Message 5 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

So I am confused, should I leave it alone or have it removed? I have filed disputes but it has never blocked me before from pulling my annual free report.  I just know that I never requested it.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.