Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ER Bills

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ER Bills

Do all Emergency Room visit bills go to collections. I have gone to the er plenty of times since I turned 18 and none of them made it to collections. I have a bill I owe from a few months ago that im paranoid about going to collections. Just find it weird how all my past bills never made it to collections. So I'm not sure whether to try and pay it, or let it go.

EDIT: I realized I answered part of my question because my old bills never made it. Just curious on why?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ER Bills

Ok so you have a predicament because if you contact this er about your current bill and it's the same er who holds your previous bills then they could ask for payment on your previous bills too. You open a can of worms.

If you don't they could send it to collections and it could hit your credit report.

If you do happen to contact them, most hospitals have a charitable fund to help people with bills who do not make a lot of money or have insurance. You should ask about that.
Message 2 of 7
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm not sure whether to try and pay it, or let it go. 

Not sure I follow this part - pay it or let it go. Why would you "let it go". Did you not receive service at the ER? (that was a rhetorical question)

We, all of us, should be paying our debts if they truely are ours. I understand there are financial issues that sometimes don't allow us the pay the bills back for which we receieved a product or a service but we can and should try to work out new terms that we can meet.

Now, if you are suggesting you wait until you know you have the funds to pay off the debts prior to contacting the ER or the CA I can understand that strategy, but considering to let them go and never pay them at all just becuase you might be able to get away with it, not really a path you should consider, in my opinion.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My post about the ER bill was worded wrong. I was at work so I rushed it. Apologies.

My main paranoia was would I need to pay it at this current moment, or let it go (for now) <--- I forgot that part.

I'm trying to pay off other debt right now and I know medical doesnt always go to collections, and if it did, it wouldnt be right away.

Sorry for the confusion Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My post about the ER bill was worded wrong. I was at work so I rushed it. Apologies.

My main paranoia was would I need to pay it at this current moment, or let it go (for now) <--- I forgot that part.

I'm trying to pay off other debt right now and I know medical doesnt always go to collections, and if it did, it wouldnt be right away.

Sorry for the confusion Smiley Happy

Indeed that is clearer!

Well, it's in collections so it almost as bad as it gets. I say almost becuase it could go the next step and have a court issue a judgement against you which could lead to wage garnishments which is why you don't rock the boat unless you have the funds.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not in collections Smiley Tongue

Long story short.

I set up a payment plan with them. Only for my last visit. They did not bring up anything from the past

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay!!!!

Awesome. It's a little nerve wracking working with big debts.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.