Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EX hates me and messed up my Car insurance

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: EX hates me and messed up my Car insurance

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Has anyone out there gotten feedback from insurance companies about their insurance being affected by their credit histories? It just occurred to me that our homeowner's went up without explanation, and I wonder if that was related to the bogus medical collection on DH's reports, that should be coming off soon. Another member was turned down for INSURANCE for having too many inqs and too many new accounts.

I know now that Progressive pull EX.  I nearly got the best rate, but not quite.  The AR gave me a free EX report as well!

They only check your credit (in Iowa) every three years unless you ask them to - which I will next year, as my score on EX has gone up a lot since they last checked.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 21 of 26
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

From Progressive:

Insurance Scores: What You Should Know What is an insurance score?
An insurance score is a score calculated from information on your credit report. Credit information is very predictive of future accidents or insurance claims, which is why we, and most insurers, use this information to help develop more accurate rates.

Each insurance company has its own method for evaluating this credit information. At Progressive, we develop our method by analyzing the following data from people we have insured:

• Accident and insurance claim history
  • Credit report information

The results of this analysis tell us what credit information will help us predict how likely you are to have a future accident or insurance claim. We assign a value to each predictive credit factor and add up the values to calculate your insurance score. The lower your score is with us, the better.

Are insurance scores the same as credit scores?
No. A credit score is based on your ability to repay amounts you have borrowed. An insurance score predicts the likelihood of you becoming involved in a future accident or insurance claim—it is based on information gathered from policyholders with similar credit characteristics who have had previous claims with us.

When banks and other lenders determine credit scores, they may factor in your income, job history and other matters that might affect your ability to repay a loan. Banks also can deny you a loan based on your credit score. We do not consider income or job history, and we won't deny you a policy based on your insurance score.

What factors can affect an insurance score?
Favorable credit information results in lower premiums. Because both above-average and below-average factors are evaluated, you still have the opportunity to get a lower rate, even if there are some below-average items in your credit history.

Favorable factors might include:

• Long-established credit history
  • Numerous open accounts in good standing
  • No late payments or past due accounts
  • Low use of available credit

Unfavorable factors might include:

• Collection accounts
  • Numerous past-due payments
  • High use of available credit
  • Numerous recent applications for credit
These factors vary by state to comply with the laws of each state.

How can I improve an unfavorable insurance score?
While there are some things that are out of your control—having a short credit history, for instance—you can generally improve your insurance score with us by making loan and mortgage payments on time, keeping accounts in good standing, and avoiding numerous credit applications in a short period of time.

Also, look at how much credit you have available. If you are using all or nearly all of your available credit, it could be regarded as an unfavorable factor.

How and Why Progressive Uses Insurance Scores How does Progressive use insurance scores?
Like other insurers, Progressive uses insurance scores and other underwriting tools and rating variables to place customers in groups, determine potential insurance claims risk for those groups, and calculate accurate rates based on the potential risk that each group represents. Progressive does not use information about credit history solely to refuse to insure a customer or to cancel a policy. In fact, our use of insurance scores has allowed us to offer lower rates to more customers.

Do all insurance companies use credit?
Most do. According to a 2001 survey by Conning & Co., a research firm based in Hartford, Conn., 92 percent of insurance companies used credit information when rating or underwriting new policies. As of early 2006, every top five auto insurance company was using credit to rate or underwrite new policies.

Why do Progressive and other insurance companies use insurance scores?
Credit has been proven to be a very powerful and independent predictor of future accidents or insurance claims. The use of credit history provides an additional predictive factor—one not offered by other factors such as driving record, vehicle type, age, etc. In fact, Progressive data shows that consumers with the worst insurance scores are twice as likely to have an accident or insurance claim as those with the best scores.

The following studies offer more information on the relationship between credit history and the likelihood of having a future accident or insurance claim:

How does Progressive determine rates?
Progressive, like other insurance companies, groups customers based on similar characteristics, evaluates their claims experiences within these groups, and determines what to charge individuals with characteristics similar to members of the group. We charge a higher rate for customers more likely to have claims, and a lower rate for customers less likely to have claims.

An insurance score is just one of many factors Progressive considers when determining rates. Depending on the state, we also consider your driving record, type of vehicle, where you live, your gender, your age and other factors.

How the Use of Credit Information Affects You Will checking my credit during a quote affect my credit rating?
No. The Progressive inquiry will only be visible to you and the credit reporting agency. Other companies viewing your credit report will not see the inquiry.

Do Progressive representatives see my credit report?
No. Our software systems automatically request your credit report, so your Progressive representative does not see your credit report or know your insurance score.

How do I know that the credit information you are collecting is really mine?
We collect credit information based on multiple personal characteristics, including Social Security number, address, birth date and whether or not you have recently relocated. Collecting these pieces of information helps to ensure that the credit information we obtain is yours.

Does Progressive check credit history when my policy renews?
In states where it is allowed or required by law, we periodically review policies, including credit history.

Is the use of credit information unfairly discriminatory?
No. Insurance credit reports do not contain any information on income, race, color, creed, physical handicap or disability.

How to Obtain Your Credit Report We recommend reviewing your credit information at least annually to ensure that your credit report is correct. Though credit reports generally are accurate, if you find a mistake, you should ask the reporting agency how to correct the information.

You can receive a free copy of your credit report once a year by visiting:You also can contact the following consumer reporting agencies directly for your credit report:When you receive a Progressive quote, we can tell you which credit reporting agency provided your information to us. If credit adversely affected your policy rate, we will send you information on how to obtain a free copy of your credit report from that agency.

What the Credit Information Team Can Do For You The Credit Information Team is a specially trained group of representatives who can answer questions about our use of credit in auto insurance. The team can provide a personalized report that explains the following:
  • What information from your credit report was used to determine your rate
  • How your insurance score compares to scores for other consumers who received Progressive Direct quotes
The Credit Information Team also can consider reasonable exceptions based on prior credit history if one (or more) of the following extraordinary life events negatively affects your credit:
  • Catastrophic illness or injury
  • Divorce
  • Death of an immediate family member
  • Business loss
Other exceptions may be available in your state—contact the Credit Information Team to see whether circumstances not listed qualify for an exception in your state.

For all other questions, please call your agent or broker.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Has anyone out there gotten feedback from insurance companies about their insurance being affected by their credit histories?
About a  year ago I got a letter with our home owners insurance policy renewal that stated we were declined for the best rates because of our credit score.  The cost actually when down about 5 bucks.  It's dropped about 5 bucks each year we've renewed so I didn't follow up on it.  Now I wish I would have.  I'll be looking for the next renewal in March and I'll be watching like a hawk for mention of credit scores.
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:
It didn't make enough difference to bother with. But I do get a free EX report, and I will use it to try and get EX to call my HELOC a mortgage loan!

Sorry to hear that. Must not be GEICO.

Progressive

IMHO Geico is a very picky company and Progressive is crazy expensive. We have American Family Insurance and pay only $97 bucks a month for two cars with the older one being a 2000.

I wouldn't go with any other car insurance right now. I am very happy with American Family. Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gieco lowered my rates AGAIN
No credit pulls either-

It is now on Auto pay on my Amex green - saving installment fees.
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.