Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to get free credit reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy way to get free credit reports?

I know that you can get free credit reports yearly from each of the bureaus, and free ones from sites like Credit Karma. But I just noticed something I never paid attention to before. I tried for a SP CLI through Discover, got denied, and I just received the reason letter. The letter states the basic "Insufficient experience with current limit" reason. But on the back, it says I can get a free copy of my report since I was denied. For some reason I always thought this was only for when you received a HP. So anytime I want a full report from a specific bureau, all I have to do is request a SP CLI from someone I know pulls that bureau and get denied? Didn't realize it was that easy to get a full report more than once a year. I know CK provides 2 of the 3, but the ones you get from the bureaus are way more detailed.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Easy way to get free credit reports?

Yes, the FCRA provides a consumer the right to a free credit report if denied credit and the party indicates that they used a CR as part of their determination regardless of how the inquiry was coded.

The consumer must send a copy of the denial letter within 90 days to the CRA that is indicated as having been used for their pull of the CR.

Message 2 of 4
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Yes, the FCRA provides a consumer the right to a free credit report if denied credit and the party indicates that they used a CR as part of their determination regardless of how the inquiry was coded.

The consumer must send a copy of the denial letter within 90 days to the CRA that is indicated as having been used for their pull of the CR.

Not entirely correct or rather, incomplete.There also exists an entirely valid alternative manner in which to accomplish this same end without mail correspondence involvement.

You may also place your request for an online "free disclosure" via that credit agency if denied credit. They do however require the name of the Lender and also the date of the adverse action letter that you received and your free new report will be processed instantly.

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't consider that easy but to each his/her own.  If you want frequent pulls you should really look into a suitable monitoring service.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.