Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of disputing accounts

tag
oldschool
Valued Member

Effects of disputing accounts

I filed bankruptcy about 3 and half years ago, I never pulled my credit report since then. Some of the accounts are so old I don't remember them, can someone tell me what the ramifications would be if I dispute some of the accounts that I really can't remember? There are some accounts that I believe were my wife's medical charges, some look like they have been listed multiple times and some I just don't honestly know if they are mine. Unfortunately it is so hard to tell because you don't get the full account numbers and some of the names are different. 

I am not trying to get something removed if it is legitimate, I really don't know. My question is if I dispute some of these items and it comes back as verified, can it lower my score?

Thanks all,
Rick
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effects of disputing accounts

Not a huge risk in disputing negative accounts-
If the reporting dates update and it is verified you score will drop a bit.

May want to pull from annualcreditreort.com or directly from the cra to get a full report.

@oldschool wrote:
I filed bankruptcy about 3 and half years ago, I never pulled my credit report since then. Some of the accounts are so old I don't remember them, can someone tell me what the ramifications would be if I dispute some of the accounts that I really can't remember? There are some accounts that I believe were my wife's medical charges, some look like they have been listed multiple times and some I just don't honestly know if they are mine. Unfortunately it is so hard to tell because you don't get the full account numbers and some of the names are different.
I am not trying to get something removed if it is legitimate, I really don't know. My question is if I dispute some of these items and it comes back as verified, can it lower my score?
Thanks all,
Rick

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.