Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of terminating Authorized User

tag
FiveOhFour
Contributor

Effects of terminating Authorized User

Hi, 

Recently there was a miscommunication between my mother and sears that resulted in me being added as an authorized user to her Sears Credit card, instead of simply authorizing me to speak on her behalf. The Account had 1 late payment that was late for 30 & then 60 days before being paid a couple years ago. I terminated myself from the account when i saw it, but it still appears on 1 or 2 of my Credit Reports & it just shows "TERMINATED" Under "Responsibility" but all the late payments are still there, well the one late payment, and it also seems to still calculate that account into my Avg. Age of Accounts depending on where i am checking my score/report. 

So the question i have for you guys is this, is that Account that i was once a authorized User on still impacting my credit report & score? Is my responsibility showing as Terminated sufficient, or is it impacting my score negatively still & I need to start making calls to get this off my report entirely? Thanks 

PERFECT CREDIT SCORE FINALLY
2020: FICO Score 9 850/850 (Equifax) (I still only have ~4 cards)
2018 FICO: EQ: 820 TU: 807 EX: 806
First Credit Card in 2016 (2 secured cards)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Effects of terminating Authorized User

Once AU status is terminated, the CRA can no longer post any information from her account to your credit file/report.

You need to make sure that her creditor notified the CRA to terminate the AU status.

Otherwise, they will continue to report, and your file will still include an AU designation.

Message 2 of 8
FiveOhFour
Contributor

Thank you for the reply! Excuse my inexperience here but to clarify, it looks like they have updated the status to "terminated" but the Account still shows under the list of accounts (it just says terminated under the "responsibility" tab...so my question is is the info that had been previously reported like those late payments impacting my score, or is all existing info no longer factored into my score/report? 

Message 3 of 8
FiveOhFour
Contributor

In other words, when you say they can no longer post any info from her account onto my report, i hear you, but are you meaning that future info/updates can't be, or any info at all past/present/future from that account has to be removed? Thanks

Message 4 of 8
FiveOhFour
Contributor

Hi Robert, its been a while so i hope you dont mind me asking again, They did terminate MY AU status, but should i expect that the account be pulled off my reports entirely, can i ask that, or no? I see depedning on the site and CRA it still seems to be factored into things like My AAOA and shown as a negative account, so thats why i am wondering if i can have it completely removed instead of just showing Terminated. 

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@FiveOhFour wrote:

Hi Robert, its been a while so i hope you dont mind me asking again, They did terminate MY AU status, but should i expect that the account be pulled off my reports entirely, can i ask that, or no? I see depedning on the site and CRA it still seems to be factored into things like My AAOA and shown as a negative account, so thats why i am wondering if i can have it completely removed instead of just showing Terminated. 

If its showing lates dispute it off your report as "not responsible for payment of this account". If any CRA refuses to remove it file a CFPB complaint on the offender.

Message 6 of 8
FiveOhFour
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

If its showing lates dispute it off your report as "not responsible for payment of this account". If any CRA refuses to remove it file a CFPB complaint on the offender.

Great thank you so much that clarifies things for me perfectly, i was thinking that experian was still using the account on my report because Credit Sesame showed my Payment on time percentage as less than 100% and showed that i had 2 late payments and it still shows that as one of my accounts, yet when i look at my actual proper experian Credit Report it isn't listed on there, so i guess Credit Sesame, and actually a few of the sites including MyFico at one point, does weird things with how it scores you even if an account is no longer on your credit report...Transunion is still listing it on my report though so i have disputed it with them. Once again, thanks. 

Message 7 of 8
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

After removing AU status and getting the "terminated" notation, I disputed the account as "not mine" (because that is true, it was never my account).  Anyway, they were deleted within days.

Did the same for DH who was AU on some of my accounts that went south.  All were deleted except NFCU.  It sucks that it won't delete, but he is OK with that.  There are only 2 30 day lates that happened over 2 years ago.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.