Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employers on Credit Reports

tag
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Employers on Credit Reports

Is there any reason employers should be listed on a credit report? I'd rather dispute it off.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Employers on Credit Reports

It's on there because when you apply for credit the creditor asks who your employeer is.  They in turn report that to the CRAs.

Their names only help in identifying you.

Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't help or hurt your credit any.

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A good reason.  Potential creditors assessing your risk want to know if you are employed.

Credit reports are used for a whole lot more than just generation of a credit score.

While not used directly in credit scoring, it could be a huge factor in assessment of a consumer.

Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

A good reason.  Potential creditors assessing your risk want to know if you are employed.

Credit reports are used for a whole lot more than just generation of a credit score.

While not used directly in credit scoring, it could be a huge factor in assessment of a consumer.

+1

The employment information contained in your report cannot be deleted.  If this is the information you furnished at the time of any permissible purpose for credit, it will be listed.  Like others have mentioned, there is a lot more involved with your consumer credit file than just a score and account/TL history.

Message 5 of 10
mcampbell1014

What if it is not infomation that you furnished?  For some reason, my ex husband's employer and his parents address are showing up on my CR as an employer and an address of mine even though I have never worked there or lived there.  Is there some way to have this taken off?  Is it just a matter of doing a dispute?  

Message 6 of 10
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I know for the address you can dispute and have it taken off if it is not associated with a current tradeline. Do you have any remaining open joint accounts with your ex? If it is associated with an open tradeline it will simply reappear the next time it reports. If you get your credit reports from the annual credit report site then there are a series of numbers associated with each address that correspond to the tradelines shown on the report (e.g. the address will have a 12345 code and one of your accounts will be titled 12345.) There may be more than one account tied to each address. If the account is closed or it is no longer on the report then the address deletion is easy.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience in trying to change employer information but as noted above it is more likely to help than hurt.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

+1

The employment information contained in your report cannot be deleted.  If this is the information you furnished at the time of any permissible purpose for credit, it will be listed.  Like others have mentioned, there is a lot more involved with your consumer credit file than just a score and account/TL history.

Yes it can be deleted.  I've had it done.  Mine was a past employer and they had all the information wrong.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

My employer is only listed on EX. TU and EQ are blank. I thought credit cards would report the same info to all bureaus Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I'd rather dispute it off.

Why would you want your employment history to look worse than it actually is?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.