Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Employment

I would guess that it's very employer-specific as to how much they value looking at a credit report.  Some may only weigh its information slightly, where others may weigh it more heavily.  For those that are taking the time to pull it though, clearly they are finding value in doing so; They wouldn't be pulling it to not use it at all.

Message 11 of 12
helaurin
New Contributor

Re: Employment

Absolutely, some employers require credit checks as a condition of employment.  Years ago, I had an offer from a bank rescinded because my credit score was very low, even though I would be in the IT department, not actually working with cash. My credit score at the time was low, because I had been through a difficult divorce (spouse left me, went underground to avoid ever paying a single penny of child support) - so I was left trying to keep a mortgage that had originally been predicated on a two-income family, and suddenly it was all on me, while trying to raise our child.  Anyhow, I eventually got my credit score up, but certainly long after that original offer had expired. 

A recent employer also required background and credit checks, and I know my current employer requires credit checks - not just in the hiring process, but they randomly do credit checks during the course of one's employment. I know because a co-worker was called in for something that came up on her credit report. and management wanted it explained and corrected. 

Starting Score: 2014 775
Current Score: 822
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.