cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax changed accounts I wasn't disputing and more

tag
MaraBlue

Equifax changed accounts I wasn't disputing and more

I apologize in advance if this is a well-known issue, it's new to me. I did try to search the forums, but I'm so upset I could only think of generic search terms like "Equifax error", which...brings thousands of results.

I recently spent a week compiling proof of some errors on my Equifax report. I have a 39 page report (many creditors and RE lenders have sold my accoounts, so a lot of accounts show multiple times), so...it took a while. Oddly enough, TransUnion and Experian had my information fairly accurate, although Experian is still reporting a previous address I haven't lived at in 30 years.

My credit has always been fairly good, but there were a few errors that needed to be corrected, so I wrote Equifax. In the past I've tried to dispute online, and I get a generic "this information has been corrected" message when in fact they've changed nothing. I thought in writing, sending a certified letter, would be better.

I get a MYFICO alert email this morning, showing 3 things have changed. The 3 items that Equifax changed are all incorrect!

One account, which I never even mentioned in my letter, they more than doubled the high credit to $358k (I have NO idea where they even got that figure), and reported that I'm disputing that account! I'm not, the account was paid off, never late and the amount was correct before some person at Equifax got key-happy.

They changed my address. In my letter I stated that my current address IS correct.

On another account that was reporting me as late, I submitted proof that I had paid the account (sent my bank statement showing the payment), and that account was changed to "closed by consumer." Huh????

I can only imagine what ELSE this person screwed up on my report, and now I have to take out even MORE of my time to correct their errors. Is this an anomaly, or does this happen all the time? I know I can call Monday morning and hopefully get it all corrected...I'm just...appauld this would happen in the first place.

I feel so defeated. I've been trying to get my credit score to 700, following all the advice, and nothing seems to help. Yes, I know, it takes time and I don't expect it to improve overnight. It just blows me away that paying off my accounts didn't help, so I started charging just a little, then paying it off each month.

My score goes down when any account shows a balance, yet it never goes back UP when I pay if off! Last summer I was living on credit...never late, but clearly living beyond my means at the time. My credit score was significantly higher then, than now when I'm being very careful and conservative. It's like fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for listening. Or...reading.
...my HTML is *not* invalid...
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
manuel264

Re: Equifax changed accounts I wasn't disputing and more

I have been dealing with Equifax as well and I have been very dissatisfied with their service. They take a long time to do anything. Avoid phone conversations, they are useless and maybe detrimental. Also, twice I have used their Online Dispute service and twice they have mail me forms requesting proof of my identity. At times I felt that they work for the merchants because they slow down the process. Finally, two of the negative accounts I disputed with Equifax, as soon as initiated the process, my Eq scores went down 18 points.
Message 2 of 7
MaraBlue

I agree in most instances written letter would be better...but it was from a written letter that they completely screwed things up. Maybe I'll try both.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

MaraBlue wrote:
I apologize in advance if this is a well-known issue, it's new to me. I did try to search the forums, but I'm so upset I could only think of generic search terms like "Equifax error", which...brings thousands of results.

I recently spent a week compiling proof of some errors on my Equifax report. I have a 39 page report (many creditors and RE lenders have sold my accoounts, so a lot of accounts show multiple times), so...it took a while. Oddly enough, TransUnion and Experian had my information fairly accurate, although Experian is still reporting a previous address I haven't lived at in 30 years.

My credit has always been fairly good, but there were a few errors that needed to be corrected, so I wrote Equifax. In the past I've tried to dispute online, and I get a generic "this information has been corrected" message when in fact they've changed nothing. I thought in writing, sending a certified letter, would be better.

I get a MYFICO alert email this morning, showing 3 things have changed. The 3 items that Equifax changed are all incorrect!

One account, which I never even mentioned in my letter, they more than doubled the high credit to $358k (I have NO idea where they even got that figure), and reported that I'm disputing that account! I'm not, the account was paid off, never late and the amount was correct before some person at Equifax got key-happy.

They changed my address. In my letter I stated that my current address IS correct.

On another account that was reporting me as late, I submitted proof that I had paid the account (sent my bank statement showing the payment), and that account was changed to "closed by consumer." Huh????

I can only imagine what ELSE this person screwed up on my report, and now I have to take out even MORE of my time to correct their errors. Is this an anomaly, or does this happen all the time? I know I can call Monday morning and hopefully get it all corrected...I'm just...appauld this would happen in the first place.

I feel so defeated. I've been trying to get my credit score to 700, following all the advice, and nothing seems to help. Yes, I know, it takes time and I don't expect it to improve overnight. It just blows me away that paying off my accounts didn't help, so I started charging just a little, then paying it off each month.

My score goes down when any account shows a balance, yet it never goes back UP when I pay if off! Last summer I was living on credit...never late, but clearly living beyond my means at the time. My credit score was significantly higher then, than now when I'm being very careful and conservative. It's like fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for listening. Or...reading.

to begin with, you must always remember that workers at CRAs have the IQ of a NAT!!

I have disputed online with no trouble. BUT I have been told by an attorney not to do so anymore. Always dispute CMRRR and be sure that you copy your dispute letter!!!

The address that you say you lived at 30 years ago is accurate reporting!!!!! you did live there.

For other things that they screwed up send a complaint to the FTC  www.ftc.gov   The more complaints that they get the better for us. Maybe they will wake up & do their jobs.

Be careful of correcting their mistakes,,,they are known to just delete the whole accounts.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similiar experience awhile back, before I even knew there was a forum.

What I did was take a copy of my credit report and highlighted the problem areas and numbered them.  I wrote a letter to accompany this with each number and told them exactly what the problem was.  Everything was corrected exactly as I wanted.

Now whether the planets were in exact alignment that day, or the worker that received my letter was especially talented I don't know.  But spelling it out and highlighting seemed to work for me   Smiley Wink

As for the addresses, I did that online.  30 years is obsolete info (mine was about 20)  and they have no problem with taking it off.

Message 5 of 7
MaraBlue

Thanks for your reply. I did number the items, even used color coding, and numbered the corresponding attachment (in big red numbers). The only reason I didn't send my credit report as well is because my Equifax report is 39 pages. I listed the items in the order they appeared in the report, and numbered them so clearly and highlighted the relevant portions on the accompanying proof (dates and payments on bank statements, etc), I'd imagine a 10 year old child could follow along. I got a second MYFICO alert today...on a Sunday. They've screwed up even more accounts, claiming I was disputing accounts I was not, accounts that were already showing correct information.
Message 6 of 7
MaraBlue

It's pretty scary to think that employees of CRA's can be this stupid...and still have access to all of our personal financial information.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.