Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax doesn't have my SSN on file?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax doesn't have my SSN on file?

I've never been able to access my Equifax credit report, and a few days ago I finally learned why.

I can check my TransUnion and Experion credit reports perfectly fine, however, I always receive a message saying they were unable to verify my identity whenever I tried ordering my Equifax credit report or viewing my Equifax FICO score.  After contacting myFICO's customer service, they told me the SSN I had on file wasn't matching up with the SSN Equifax had on file. I thought this was quite strange, since I knew for a fact it was correct (seeing as I could order my TransUnion FICO score just fine).

After calling Equifax, they told me apparently they didn't have my SSN on my credit report, or associated with me, which I found extremely odd.  Either way, I was told to fax in documentation so they could update my information, which is what I did (currently waiting to hear back from them).

Main question: After they update my SSN, will I be able to access my credit report like normal, or will I still have issues? Secondly, and even more importantly, will I have any history on my Equifax credit report once I do have access to it?  I only have one credit card and it has been reporting to all 3 credit agencies, however, was the credit card company even able to report to Equifax seeing as I apparently never had a file with them?  Will they "back date" or "back log" my history and add it to the new report, or has the credit card company been able to report just fine, and I just haven't been able to see it?

I'm a bit new to the whole credit scene (19 years of age), but I'm very interested in making sure I do things right now when I'm young and just starting, than having to fix problems later on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Equifax doesn't have my SSN on file?

I would contact your CCC and ask about their reporting your CC to EQ.  They need to start reporting it to EQ if they haven't and check to see if they have been reporting it on someone else's CR.  You should be able to gain access to your CR once the put your SSN on it.  I will also consider subscribing to a CMS service to protect your new credit, at least for the short term.  I use TrueCredit.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 19
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

First ask your credit card compnay which credit bureaus they report to.  If they report to Equifax then verify what  information they are reporting IE name address and scoial security number.  This should be the same information you are using to pull your credit report with.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for  the replies.

I have already contacted my CCC, and they told me they do report to all 3 CRAs.

I just pulled both my TU and EX reports and scores today (EX from experiandirect.com/FAKO score and TU from here/FICO).  I've never had a problem pulling from those 2 CRAs, and everything is up to date and accurate.  My EX report actually shows my current CC balance, so it appears my CCC apparently reports to them multiple times within the month, and not just strictly at the end of each billing cycle (I don't know, not important anyways).

I faxed EQ the info they requested, and I've already contacted them twice and they tell me, please wait 10 business days before asking, so I guess I'm just playing the waiting game now.  They told me I should receive an email once they process my fax and update my SSN on my credit file, so I'm hoping I actually do and not hear a "we never received a fax" response, or I just wasted 2 weeks.

I'm assuming once they update my SSN I should be able to access my EQ report and score (for the first time ever), and then I can see for myself if my CCC really has been reporting to them as well, or if the SSN issues caused any problems.

I'll report back next week, just seems odd to me EQ never had a SSN for me, but had all my other info... especially since my CCC has been reporting everything perfectly accurately to the other 2 CRAs.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i had the same issue with them last week. rep told me my information needed to be updated and to fax over doc's. faxed them and now i'm still waiting. anyone one else run into this problem with equifax?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i had the same issue with them last week. rep told me my information needed to be updated and to fax over doc's. faxed them and now i'm still waiting. anyone one else run into this problem with equifax?

So here's what has happened to me so far, please note this is probably about 15-20 calls total since I started trying (about a month ago).

Long story short, I was never able to view my EQ CR.  I thought it was strange, but didn't really care, since I was and still am just getting started (only 19).  After thinking about applying for some credit cards (currently only have 1 active line of credit, which is a Discover CC), I ordered my scores from here.  Again, came back with no enough info for my EQ CR, so I called myFICO CS.  They told the the SSN I was providing wasn't matching up with what EQ had on file for me.  In other words, I gave myFICO.com my real SSN, and they were comparing it to a blank in EQ's system, so of course they didn't match.

After contacting EQ, I was told to fax a copy of my SSN card to them.  Waited 10 business days only to learn they never received it and that the rep (even though I verified the number 3 times) gave me the incorrect department.  I find it strange they can't just forward it to the correct department, anyways, wasted 2 weeks, and wasn't any closer to solving the issue.  After receiving the new fax, I was told to call back the next day to verify they received it.  After calling back the next day, I was told it will take 3-4 business days, and that I'll have to wait (again, wrong info from previous rep about time frame).

SO today I call (4th business day), and much to my surprise they actually received and verified my fax, except EQ can't actually update any info on my EQ CR, I need to go through a third party, CSC Credit, to do so.  Does that make any sense? No, but whatever. After calling the number they gave me for CSC, it was disconnected.  Called EQ back to get the correct number, and the rep tells me they never received my fax (even though the rep 10 minutes before said he was holding it in his hand).  Hung up on the rep.  Called back, got a rep and what a surprise, confirmed again they did indeed receive it and gave me a new number for CSC.  Called that and it was simply a recording to visit their website.  Called EQ back for a 4th time in 20 minutes, went though my story, after confirming their received the fax, gave me a third number for CSC (hilarious, right?).

Call the number and instantly get a live person.  Goes through my info, and says it looks like my report was being managed by a different department within CSC Credit than the one I called, so she transferred me over.  Spoke to another person who verified my info again, and told me EQ had not forwarded them the faxed info, so she couldn't update anything. Going through my head at this point is what the hell is the purpose of faxing EQ anything directly when I could just fax it straight to CSC Credit, anyways, so we continue.

I call EQ back for a 7th time in an hour span of time, after confirming my info and that they received my fax, rep puts me on hold again for even longer and then comes back (he actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about), and told me to have the CSC Credit rep pull up my file and scans of the faxed info I sent will be attached to my file, and they can view them and then update my info.  At this point I had to go to work, so hopefully I'm down to making one last phone call tomorrow, and I'll be good to go.

WISH ME LUCK.

On a side note, I'll post the direct numbers to EQ and CSC Credit, along with the correct fax number tomorrow if you want.  It will help you avoid the runaround from EQ like they gave to me.

Message 6 of 19
HumbleLobster
Established Member

I'm actually going through this exact same process with my wife right now.  I'm in the "wait 5-7 business days" mode right now.  She had missing information on her CR and they wouldn't tell us what it was without faxing the whole information package to them.  Would you please share that contact information with us?

Starting Score: TU: 767 EQ: 727 EX: ?? (5/10/12)
Current Score: TU: 745 EQ: 736 EX: 793 (7/11/12 Lender Pull)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HumbleLobster wrote:

I'm actually going through this exact same process with my wife right now.  I'm in the "wait 5-7 business days" mode right now.  She had missing information on her CR and they wouldn't tell us what it was without faxing the whole information package to them.  Would you please share that contact information with us?

Yeah, I will definitely post everything tomorrow morning when I get up.  I'm a bit tired at the moment, just got back from work, but I'll make sure to post it first thing tomorrow.  I'll also update you guys on where I'm at, and I have good news.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just accessed my EQ CR for the first time ever today!!!!!! Wow, it feels amazing to finally be done with this.

So, after contacting CSC Credit Services again (yesterday), they still told me EQ hadn't attached the faxed documents to my credit file, which means they couldn't update anything.  Instead, the CSC rep just asked if I wanted to fax it directly to them, which I said yes.  I called them back this morning, and they said they had already received the fax and updated my info, minutes after that I was able to pull my CR from annualcreditreport.com for the first time ever (luckily there were no surprises on it).

RECAP

I basically wasted a month messing with EQ, and the great part is, EQ can't even update or make ANY changes to my file, whatsoever, only CSC can, so why I was even dealing with EQ directly is beyond me.  20 some phone calls, where EQ kept telling me I faxed to the wrong department, called the wrong department, etc.  It took 10 minutes on the phone with a CSC rep and I was done.

Here's the contact info for EQ and CSC Credit Services:

EQ (goes straight to a live person, they'll ask for a confirmation number, simply tell them they never gave you one and they'll still help):

1 (877) 784-2528

EQ Fax (this is the only department that can actually do anything in regards to updating personal info on file/forward it on):

1 (888) 826-0573

If your credit file is with CSC Credit Services, you might as well skip EQ completely, and just speak directly with CSC.  Their reps are actual native English speakers, and they know what they're doing, unlike EQ reps.

To determine if your credit file is maintained by CSC, simply call 1 (800) 555-4544, and enter your ZIP code followed by #.  If your file is maintained by them, it will give you a phone tree (hang up at this point because you can't speak to CS through that line).  If your file is not maintained by CSC, it will tell you exactly who does, so if it is EQ, unfortunately you will have to go through them directly using the above contact info.

If your file is maintained by CSC, good news, it means it will take less than 48 hours to update everything and you'll be on your way.

CSC (this is not a call center line, this is a direct line that only a handful of people answer, so if you call multiple times in the same day, chances are you will speak with the same person, usually there is no hold whatsoever, but even if there is, it is usually brief):

1 (800) 272-9281

When you call the number above, simply tell them EQ told you to contact them to update your SSN, they'll ask you for some info to pull up your file, and then they should ask you if you want their direct fax number, if they don't, simply request you fax it to them and not EQ.  The number above also isn't their CS line, so chances are the person you speak with will have to transfer you to their CS to get the actual info or fax number, THIS IS FINE.  Their actual CS line is the 4544 number you already called, but there is no way to speak to the CSRs through that phone tree, so that's why you call the 9281 number instead and get transferred directly to a CSR (thus skipping the phone tree).

CSC Fax: 1 (281) 504-0667

DO NOT JUST FAX YOUR INFO RANDOMLY BEFORE CALLING.  After speaking with whatever rep you speak with, you'll actually put ATTN [rep's name] on your fax.  This leads me to believe it is a small department if everyone is on a first name basis, but that's beside the point.

After you fax the info they ask for (usually a copy of DL and SSN), it may take up to 48 hours, however, mine was done in less than 24 hours.

If you have any other questions, just post here.  Otherwise, GOOD LUCK!

Message 9 of 19
HumbleLobster
Established Member

Thank you so much for posting this info.  I'm still not able to pull the DWs credit file from Equifax after 10 business days, so I assume that the information I faxed them was sent into a black hole.  I called the CSC 4544 line and was glad to hear that they did service our zip code.  I'll gather some of the DW's information this afternoon and give them a call to get this sorted out.  I'll update with information as I get it.  Thank you again, glad to see someone else had the same problem we are having and was able to sort it out.

Starting Score: TU: 767 EQ: 727 EX: ?? (5/10/12)
Current Score: TU: 745 EQ: 736 EX: 793 (7/11/12 Lender Pull)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.