Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax freeze

tag
DomLS3
Regular Contributor

Equifax freeze

Does anyone have an alternative way to freeze your credit with Equifax? I've tried the website freeze.equifax.com and it keeps erroring out saying Service unavailable when I try to freeze it. Then I've tried calling every phone number I can find and none of them seem to work. I either get a ring straight to busy like the number has been disconnected or some BS automated system that is no help at all... which ends up ringing to busy when I press a number anyway. I had no issues with Experian or Trans Union. 

Also, have they said whether or not they are going to someone cover the fees for freezing on the other credit bureau's? Sorry if these have been asked already. I searched and couldn't find any accurate answers. 

Thanks

EQ: 807 | TU: 823 | EX: 817
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax freeze

@DomLS3 wrote:

Does anyone have an alternative way to freeze your credit with Equifax? I've tried the website freeze.equifax.com and it keeps erroring out saying Service unavailable when I try to freeze it. Then I've tried calling every phone number I can find and none of them seem to work. I either get a ring straight to busy like the number has been disconnected or some BS automated system that is no help at all... which ends up ringing to busy when I press a number anyway. I had no issues with Experian or Trans Union. 

Also, have they said whether or not they are going to someone cover the fees for freezing on the other credit bureau's? Sorry if these have been asked already. I searched and couldn't find any accurate answers. 

Thanks

Equifax can be a bit funny on their freeze. I froze them 2 years ago, at first I wasn't able to they said I needed to reply to them by mail. I gave up - couple weeks later I was able to freeze online.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their website and phone lines are probably overloaded from all the blow back from the breach.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just signed up with Equifax freeze and for a limited time it's free.
Message 4 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I have to ufreeze/freeze by mail. Was just about to unfreeze by mail when the equihack happened. Just gonna let stay frozen. TU has a service, which i have, that you can now unlock/lock your Eq as well as your Tu reports. But with my freeze i cant actually unlock on my TU
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the same issues with attempting to freeze online. I've been on hold with them over the phone for about 25 mins right now.

I'm sure I'll probably never get through but my phone is plugged in and sitting on the table, so it can sit there all day for all I care 👍
Message 6 of 8
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

800 349-9960

Equifax took me the most attempts. They are overloaded. Depending on where you live, try calling late evening on the west coast or early morning on the east coast.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally ended up getting the website to work before I got anyone on the phone. I sat on the phone for 32 mins to finally get someone and then they tell me oh you need to be transfered over here for that service.

Completely disgusted with EQ but it's whatever. I got it taken care of and feel a little safer for now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.