Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax is killing me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax is killing me!

MY credit file was split due to a typo in my name from one of my creditors.

In short, I had two seperate credit profiles with Equifax, until recently...

I called Equifax today. My credit files seem to be officially merged into one - and in the end I got screwed!!!

It picked up inquiries from both files, the credit mistake from one file is now on the merged file, and the file that had no inquiries or mistakes is by-by!

Dang to Equifax to hell -lol!

Now my two scores together, 697 and 735, evolved into one score, a 675!!!

I must also add this screw up was all caused by a stupid Old Navy GEMB Card. They mis credited my payments and report me as a 120 days late! After going through an uphill battle - everything was fixed - except for my equifax creit profile - or at least one of the two profiles.

Now I have one profile and I have to contest this issue all over again, 2 years later! Can you believe it!! Luckily, I submitted an appeal to this account on the "bad credit profile" last week (thinking this would happen) and they said they are now waiting for the credit to get back to them!

Why does it take so long for the creditor to get back to them? And if they fixed it before, then why do this again?!? I'm confused and pissed...

However, I recognize Old Navy-GEMB Money Bank are the real culprits! I want to call them, but I fear it will achieve nothing!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax is killing me!

Equifax is the only CRA that will allow you to dispute (read: removal) of inquiries from your credit report. You can do this with them over the phone. I caution you however. Only delete inquiries that you applied for credit and an account was NOT opened for the inquiry. If you remove inquiries for opened accounts your FAKO score will rise but your FICO will fall. Once you get the baddie removed from GEMB then you should be fixed up. Credit files at Equifax get split when the credit file reaches a size maximum. Becareful pulling inquiries even soft pulls for your information it's what causes the split to begin with. Generally it's not a name or address problem. I just went through this with Equifax myself and was helped by a supervisor who was very knowledgeable and friendly and yes spoke great English.

- AZQ
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the great info - hmmm....how many inquiries is too many I wonder?

Equifax has placed a lot of inquiries on my account investigating all this mess - almost 17 it seems...

What happens if people never notice their credit file splits?

Message Edited by pjriverap on 10-13-2007 08:20 PM
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

A split doesn't hurt you it just reports 2 credit files when a lender requests your credit file from Equifax each will have it's own beacon score. For you checking your credit it sometimes can be a pain as it was for me because the reporting services like the one at equifax.com kept pulling the one report that I didn't want (read: the one with no or old trade lines on it). Also come to think of it my split file had one trade line on it that was a duplicate that the name of my financial institution hadn't been updated after they did a name change. So read both reports carefully and make sure the one file you're trying to get rid of won't cause you complications. In my case getting the split removed wasn't a big deal hopefully for you it won't be either. As for the inquiries well if you believe the CRAs then any more than 2 inquiries in a 12 month period is too many. FICO is more realistic when it comes to inquiries, they understand this is a credit world and most people today are having more companies pull their files today just in the line of normal living. Heck even cell phone companies and utilities pull reports now. I also heard somewhere that as of 2007 inquiries weren't supposed to be affecting people as much if at all. I actually heard this from a prime mortgage lender ... I've yet to verify or find anything that substantiates what they said.

- AZQ
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.